Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Tired of Getting Pushed Around

2 hands HU against the same exact opponent.

Am I doing something wrong?

He's VPIP 18.94%, Preflop raise 10.16%, Tot Agg 2.0 after 132 hands.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ?.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ?.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB
Old 12-12-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Tired of Getting Pushed Around

Next time you try to steal his blinds, flop better cards. If you really think he's FOS, 3-bet one of these flops. That said, it's quite possible he hit any part of these flops and just figures you for unpaired big cards.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Were these hands in rapid succession? Have you seen this guy c/r anyone else like this (sb defense, etc.)? Any Fold BB to Steal%? C/r%? What have you seen him show down?

Unless you know for a fact that this guy is taking shots at you based on your answers to the above questions, you have to give some credit to the theory, "Maybe he just got a hand against me twice." I think I fold both of these. If I'm not folding one, it's definitely the first one, which I'd call down, unless I hit my gutshot.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM

I didn't detect any unusual patterns in his play, but these hands came about one round apart.

The reason I am upset about this is that it seems very standard that I get popped on the flop when I'm heads up in a steal situation these days. I'm having a tough time coping with it because I'm pretty sure some of them have to be "BS". Unless I hit the flop a little, it's tough to try to combat it even though I might be ahead a portion of the time and keep donating.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM

Hand 1: I call the turn, and probably fold the river UI.

Hand 2: You've got 4 possible outs with the gutshot, and even if you count the king as 3 full outs, you still need 5.5:1 to see the river, right?

I fold.

I'm probably too passive, though.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 PM

I dont think that you are doing anything wrong with your preflop raises and both hands have followed a similar pattern.

I would be interested to know whether you have showndown any of your HU hand with this opponent.

HU play is very different to ring play, and I think that you need to showdown a hand, even with only A and a good kicker sometimes. Otherwise as you suspect, you can get pushed off the pot by an aggressive opponent (and it looks as though your opponent is a TAG).

I would even have considered 3-betting the flop with your AT to try to regain control of the first hand. You have to remember that while you will miss 1/3rd. of the flops, that your opponent will also miss 1/3rd. of the time too.

With a rainbow and all rags on the 1st flop, I think there was probably a fair chance that your opponent missed the flop also.

Once you start to show down a hand or 2 HU with the same opponent, I think that you will then start to get a better feel of how they play and be able to make better decisions on future HU hands with them.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Whatever you do don't decide to push back when he flops two pair, turns a boat, and rivers quads. That really sucked.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 PM

Wait till you're in this situation a 3rd time and then instead of betting the flop, check-raise and bet the turn if he calls. If he thinks your "i have UI overs" line is raise PF, bet flop, fold to raise, then he'll think you're "i really have something this time" line is check-raise flop, bet turn.

I use this line in this situation a lot of times, even if I whiff on the flop and it works pretty well.

Then i follow that up with catching a good hand on the flop and using the "i have UI overs" line, which lets me reraise the flop and bet the hand out. He then calls down the hand thinking I'm just trying to buy the pot.

Edited to say: this is obviously opponent specific. I've recently refused to play more than 2 tables in order to focus more on opponent tendencies and really improve my game.

EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS. At least once a week. You'd be amazed at how much you can take advantage of at a table by really watching how people play.

IMO, you just can't physically pay attention to everything you need to when playing 4 tables or more. I can't even do it playing 3. For me personally, the amount my winrate increases by playing 2 tables and focusing far outweighs getting in 300 hands/hour 4 tabling. I learn nothing 4 tabling. I've improved more the past 2 weeks of 2 tabling than I have in 6 months of 4 tabling.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:11 PM

If you were at a higher limit and playing SH, then I'd say you should look out, because his stats indicate TAG. However, this is a pretty advanced/aggressive blind defense play for most micro players. Here I think it's probably best to just let it go. He probably has a hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM

A decent player will make a play at these flops vs your pfr thinking you have ui overs. This is really read dependent, I would call down hand 1 and take a note on his play. Lots of these villians will raise draws or even bluff at low flops. How often have you 2 tangled, if he sees you folding he may take more shots.

I'd call down hand 1, I'd fold hand 2. If you have show down value, like in hand 1, call down and get some notes on this guy, it's the only way you will be able to play him later on.