Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:38 AM

Default What makes a great SnG player?

What is it that makes a SnG player great? There are several world-class SnG players that have grown beyond this forum: Curtains, Gigabet, the Gigabet brethren, etc. There is obviously a vast ocean of knowledget that exists beyond these boards and the great players have discovered and exploited that knowledge.

Personally, I wonder if this board doesn't hinder SnG development. Mostly, there are posts by small-limit players and then a bunch of social posts. Very few substantive hands are discussed anymore. I don't believe that the best players were run off by trolls. Rather, they were run off by the lack of substantive content and the "good ol' boys" flavor of the board.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: What makes a great SnG player?

[ QUOTE ]
What is it that makes a SnG player great? There are several world-class SnG players that have grown beyond this forum: Curtains, Gigabet, the Gigabet brethren, etc. There is obviously a vast ocean of knowledget that exists beyond these boards and the great players have discovered and exploited that knowledge.

Personally, I wonder if this board doesn't hinder SnG development. Mostly, there are posts by small-limit players and then a bunch of social posts. Very few substantive hands are discussed anymore. I don't believe that the best players were run off by trolls. Rather, they were run off by the lack of substantive content and the "good ol' boys" flavor of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a whiney post disguised as an on-topic post? Sorry, I just hate people who post about posts that don't talk about strategy. It's...what's the word...hypocritical.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:45 AM

My post was designed to get people to think. I hope that it gets people to think and look inside themselves. A little introspection can be a good thing every now and then.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My post was designed to get people to think. I hope that it gets people to think and look inside themselves. A little introspection can be a good thing every now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

that doesn't make it any less hypocritical.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:03 AM

I'll bite on the topic. I have 3 other friends that play poker online, all very smart people. We've read all the "good" books and discussed their relative merits at length. Three of us(thankfully me included) have been successful online. Are we swimming in cash, no, but after a year of playing we have at least 20 times our initial deposit.

My other friend isn't a bad player. He uses solid strategy, but for whatever reason never had a big breakthrough. I think that strategy gets you only so far and you need a little "something" to get past that point. You need have a solid feel for when to ignore the "correct" strategy and make some kind of balls-out move, either because you have a good read on the player or you have a lot of gamble in you.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 AM

This could help make someone great at SNGs
Old 12-04-2005, 04:26 AM

If you were beating the 215s or steps for a decent amount, would you tell a forum full of posters and lurkers exactly how you do it?

Anyone expecting this forum to provide a full roadmap to how to beat the toughest online SnGs is kidding themselves. For that you have to fill in the dots yourself. There is a wealth of information here for anyone that looks, both for high and low limits.

And of course the better a player get the more the law of diminishing returns kick in when it comes to posting and reading on a forum like this.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:02 AM

nh
Old 12-04-2005, 07:30 AM

being a great sng player isn't a mystery. You wanna know? I'll tell you. To be great you have to.....

1) be able to know how your opponent thinks and reacts in different situations.

2) be able to base your play on what you know about there play, and what you know they know about your play.

3) be right in your decisions based on that knowledge significantly more often than you are wrong.

the hard part isn't figuring out what great play is, the hard part is doing it.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This could help make someone great at SNGs

[/ QUOTE ]

im sorry but the thread really cant continue after this hahahaha
Closed Thread