Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Default $25 PL: When the river changes the best hand

In this hand I make my nut flush and nut low with counterfit protection on the turn. I've built a big pot and then the board pairs on the river. I bet again on the final street, but I'm not sure that it was correct to do so. No reads.

When the river changes the nuts, should I let go of a hand?

Party Poker (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

4 of us see the flop with no raises

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

I bet pot and get 1 caller.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks.

I bet pot again with 1 caller

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I pot it again he calls and I quarter him.
Should I have checked/called the river?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: $25 PL: When the river changes the best hand

No
Old 09-21-2005, 06:41 PM

How you even got to the river is mystifying. You are OOP to the button. Fold preflop. Since you foolishly made it to the river, just fold when the action checks around to you. You don't want to play for half the pot, and definitely don't want to tip off to the opposition that you are a fu.cking idiot.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:04 PM

Good point. I didn't think about how bad it is to play for half the pot. I'm glad you've joined our forum. I think we'll all be winning players shortly.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How you even got to the river is mystifying. You are OOP to the button. Fold preflop. Since you foolishly made it to the river, just fold when the action checks around to you. You don't want to play for half the pot, and definitely don't want to tip off to the opposition that you are a fu.cking idiot.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand PF is pretty darn good. I don't think that being OOP justifies folding and I certainly don't think that position is nearly as important in PLO8 than in HE. My hand has a legitimate chance of scooping and I think that a fold PF is wrong.... of course, I'm pretty new to PL, so I may be off base.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand PF is pretty darn good. I don't think that being OOP justifies folding and I certainly don't think that position is nearly as important in PLO8 than in HE. My hand has a legitimate chance of scooping and I think that a fold PF is wrong.... of course, I'm pretty new to PL, so I may be off base.

Thanks for the input though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes being sarcastic, just ignore him.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You 1/4 him? I am going to assume that this means you got 3/4 of the pot.

I would raise preflop to build a pot and steal the button. However, I like the way you played the rest of the hand. I may have value bet the turn and river but potting it isn't horrible. Opponent dependent.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You 1/4 him? I am going to assume that this means you got 3/4 of the pot.

I would raise preflop to build a pot and steal the button. However, I like the way you played the rest of the hand. I may have value bet the turn and river but potting it isn't horrible. Opponent dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I meant I took 3/4 of the pot.

Thanks for the advice.