Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Weird PokerStars Stuff

Okay, it's possible I'm just being stupid and tell me if I am. I'm not one of those people that think anything is rigged or whatever. I've been keeping pokertracker stats for my last 106 SnGs and I've been two-tabling for most of the time, so I've been able to pay pretty close attention to both games. Here are my two weird things:

When I get dealt to at the same time or about the same time in both of my SnGs, the cards are always either the same (except for suits) or are very close to each other. I almost never seem to get, ya know, 27o at the same time as say QQ. I know their shuffling mechanism uses input from my mouse... but this just doesn't seem very random. Anyone else notice this?

Other thing... and yeah this could all be meaningless, but the pocket pair that I've gotten most often is 22 and the pocket pair I've gotten least often is AA. Next least often is QQ then KK. The frequency of most of my pocket pairs is very tightly clustered (around 36 times actually). I got 22 41 times. AA, KK, and QQ came only 25, 27, and 27 times respectively, so not only are they the least frequent, but they are far less frequent than any of the other pocket pairs.

Just weird stuff that seems outside of what the expected distribution would be. Am I crazy for thinking this is unusual or do I just not have enough data?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Weird PokerStars Stuff

If you wish to convince yourself that this is purely random, play one table on one site and one on another.

It will still happen and any theory you try to cook up to make it look dodgy will be so convoluted that you can convince yourself pretty quickly that the game is fair.

Lori
Old 12-16-2004, 03:33 PM

Do you go by the handle Extract on some other gambling site?
If it's you, please PM me. I have important info for you.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got 22 41 times. AA, KK, and QQ came only 25, 27, and 27 times respectively, so not only are they the least frequent, but they are far less frequent than any of the other pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without even doing the math I can tell you that these numbers are well within the standard deviation.

As for the other things, the human mind tends to notice and remember similar events and coincidence. There's a genetic reason for that dating back to the 'run from the sabre tooth' days. Therefore, it's much more likely that your mind is playing tricks on you, or you've just happen to have a weird run.

The least likely scenario is something screwy with Stars software.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:23 PM

My favorite similar observation is when I'm in hands on both tables and the board on the opposite tables are perfect for me. I've had quads, flopped boats and flushes and nut straights, if only I could swap the boards...

I'd say the best one was having A3c and A7d and getting opposite flush flops. Sure wish I had enough presence to SS that one.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:19 PM

When I first started double-tabling, my screen res was set so the PokerRoom window filled the entire screen. Often times, the other window would pop open (action on me), and the flop is perfect.....for my other hand. If I had a nickel for every set I THOUGHT I flopped.....

Then there were the times I go to click call on the first table only to have the second pop open at the last second. I called an UTG raise from LP with Q6o once because of that. Luckily I flopped two pair.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite similar observation is when I'm in hands on both tables and the board on the opposite tables are perfect for me. I've had quads, flopped boats and flushes and nut straights, if only I could swap the boards...

I'd say the best one was having A3c and A7d and getting opposite flush flops. Sure wish I had enough presence to SS that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...this happens to me often (another reason not to believe anything "screwy" is afoot) to the point where i sometimes get excited and am about to raise right before realizing what an idiot I am and uttering "I shouldnt even two table"
Old 12-16-2004, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got 22 41 times. AA, KK, and QQ came only 25, 27, and 27 times respectively, so not only are they the least frequent, but they are far less frequent than any of the other pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without even doing the math I can tell you that these numbers are well within the standard deviation.

As for the other things, the human mind tends to notice and remember similar events and coincidence. There's a genetic reason for that dating back to the 'run from the sabre tooth' days. Therefore, it's much more likely that your mind is playing tricks on you, or you've just happen to have a weird run.

The least likely scenario is something screwy with Stars software.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I figured... its just unfortunate that I'm having this weird run... And no I'm not saying I think that PS is "rigged." There is no reason it should be. However, PS DOES use mouse input to determine the shuffle, so I don't think it's *as* crazy to think there might be something to the "i get the same hand at the same time" thing.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:09 PM

i usually play two tables. and when i get dealt something like 68o on one table i'll notice the flop on the other table came out 579 or something. or if i'm dealt T4 the flop will come out TT4 on the other table. i don't for a second think this is rigged or any other sort of non random event. i just know that the way the brain works is it notices and remembers when stuff like this happens, whereas it dismisses the countless other times it doesn't happen and you don't think about it.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:09 PM

You are just being stupid.

-SmileyEH