Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Open Limping

Ok I was reading a post that recommended never to open limp. This really got me thinking as it is a part of my game that I feel like I need work on. What are everyone's thoughts on open limping?

If I have a hand that is playable UTG, such as JTs, QJs, does anyone recommend raising with these hands? I always was under the belief that these hands play much better in a multiway pot, so I should limp in a passive game hoping for 4 to 5 limpers behind me. I tend to throw them away UTG if the game is aggressive. A better example would be AJ offsuit, widely regarded as the cutoff "profitable" hand UTG. Is this an open limp or a raise? Or even a hand like 98s in MP if folded around to me.

I think I tend to play weaker in these scenarios as my preflop raise % is around 8%, where it should probably be around 9% or 10%. Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Open Limping

Only if the game is extremly passive and loose would I limp with QJs UTG.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 AM

I'm more interested in people's thoughts in general on open limping in EP or MP. If it's folded around to me in late position it is worth a raise if it is worth a play. I guess I'm not really wondering about individual hands as much as the general concept of open limping, if that makes sense.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:13 AM

In a typical loose passive game, limping small pairs and small suited broadways (and maybe decent suited aces) is standard. When you flop a big draw you can pump it for value, and people will not charge you on the turn as the should when they should. Basically your strategy seems fine, mucking them in very aggressive games but they are too good to fold in a regular SS game.

The AJ/KQ debate has gone on for a long time. I think most people tend to raise it as a default, sometimes limping and sometimes folding depending, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Finally, to get your PFR up, you should probably be looking to isolate more if the game is tight enough to permit that, or else raise in late position with the aforementioned JTs/QJs hands. They have an equity edge multiway, so once you've got a multiway pot and especially position, raise'er up.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:20 AM

The only time I would consider open-limping is with small pairs, some suited aces and small suited broadways in very passive and loose games. Other than that, next to never.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only if the game is extremly passive and loose and filled with horrible horrible players would I limp with QJs UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only if the game is extremly passive and loose and filled with horrible horrible players would I limp with QJs UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying you wouldn't limp QJs UTG in an average small stakes full ring game?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I would consider open-limping is with small pairs, some suited aces and small suited broadways in very passive and loose games. Other than that, next to never.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

These seem to go against what SSHE says. Maybe I'm wrong or trying to "go by the book" too much.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 PM

It's sinful to open limp in middle or late position.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM

in the party 2/4 game I open limp 22-66, JTs, QJs, QTs, KTs, and some suited aces.