Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM

Default 2 Book Ideas

Alright, here is another "help me decide what book to buy next" post.

Background - I started playing online poker a year ago, almost exclusively limit poker, started from .5/1 and worked my way up to 2/4. I'm looking to expand my game a bit to no limit holdem, and probably cash games since its much more flexible that tournaments since I can play and leave whenever I like.

Books I already have/read - Lee Jones on Limit, HFAP, SSHE, Super System, Mike Caro's Poker tells, Theory of Poker, HoH 1 & 2, Internet Texas Holdem (the Kilger or Hilger book).

I'm thinking of getting a good book for NL cash games (which I think not many exist when I searched the forum) and maybe a book to help me move up to the 5/10 - 10/20 level in limit.

Any suggestions?

How good are the Caffione books - The Middle Limit book and the pot and no limit books?

How about King Yao's?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: 2 Book Ideas

Reread the books you've already read.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:28 PM

Haven't read Chiaffone's book, but it's gotten good review. Yao's book is strictly limit and a good addition after SSHE.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reread the books you've already read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, 0 strategy posts out of the 35 you made?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM

There is an nolimit book by Ed Miller to be released sometime next year, that I'm looking forward to ... but as for NL limit cashgames ... well .. as far as I can tell the best book on those is HOH vol 1 and I'm somes opinion Brunsons Chapther in SS1

The no limit book by Bob C is ok, but it covers all games (HE, Omaha, Razz, Lowball .. etc.) and therefore you will not find real depth in it .. (How deep you are dertermines your play ... any student of Harrington knows that)

The middlelimit book has gotten a review by Mason Malmuth somewhere on this site ... read it .. :-)

So basically I'd say by whatever you like since new books are fun, but nothing will change your game drastically (We are waiting for that Ed Miller book .. )

Maybe you should look into Stud or Omaha ??
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, here is another "help me decide what book to buy next" post.

Background - I started playing online poker a year ago, almost exclusively limit poker, started from .5/1 and worked my way up to 2/4. I'm looking to expand my game a bit to no limit holdem, and probably cash games since its much more flexible that tournaments since I can play and leave whenever I like.

Books I already have/read - Lee Jones on Limit, HFAP, SSHE, Super System, Mike Caro's Poker tells, Theory of Poker, HoH 1 & 2, Internet Texas Holdem (the Kilger or Hilger book).

I'm thinking of getting a good book for NL cash games (which I think not many exist when I searched the forum) and maybe a book to help me move up to the 5/10 - 10/20 level in limit.

Any suggestions?

How good are the Caffione books - The Middle Limit book and the pot and no limit books?

How about King Yao's?

Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but after the books you have already read (SSH, HFAP etc) I find it a little strange how you are asking what books can help you advance to beat the 5/10-10/20 games [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Also, having read SS, TOP HOH etc. you have already covered some serious ground in the poker literature; again I find it amazing that you don't know where to go from here [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 PM

LOL
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No offense, but after the books you have already read (SSH, HFAP etc) I find it a little strange how you are asking what books can help you advance to beat the 5/10-10/20 games [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like I better write a thesis on why I need book recommendations before I will get real responses? I have a damn Amazon gift certificate and was thinking of buying a couple of poker books (to get the free shipping too)

SSH is for small stakes the loose and passive type game which is not the 5/10-10/20 (online range), HFAP is slightly more advanced and it seems to apply to mid to high stakes (slightly towards high) games. Therefore looking for another middle limit book to read (1 of the 2 books I want). So I'm thinking of King Yao or the Ciaffone middle limit book

[ QUOTE ]
Also, having read SS, TOP HOH etc. you have already covered some serious ground in the poker literature; again I find it amazing that you don't know where to go from here [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other book I'm looking for is NO LIMIT CASH GAMES (which SS, ToP nor HoH focuses on) I don't have much experience in those. HoH covers it a bit but more tilted towards tournament and Super System does but hes a little too LAG for beginners.

For the no limit cash book, I'm thinking of the Ciaffone Pot and No Limit, ideas?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like I better write a thesis on why I need book recommendations before I will get real responses? I have a damn Amazon gift certificate and was thinking of buying a couple of poker books (to get the free shipping too)

SSH is for small stakes the loose and passive type game which is not the 5/10-10/20 (online range), HFAP is slightly more advanced and it seems to apply to mid to high stakes (slightly towards high) games. Therefore looking for another middle limit book to read (1 of the 2 books I want). So I'm thinking of King Yao or the Ciaffone middle limit book

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other book I'm looking for is NO LIMIT CASH GAMES (which SS, ToP nor HoH focuses on) I don't have much experience in those. HoH covers it a bit but more tilted towards tournament and Super System does but hes a little too LAG for beginners.

For the no limit cash book, I'm thinking of the Ciaffone Pot and No Limit, ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you have over 440 posts, I'm sure you didn't need to start a new thread on this, especially as there is about a million posts on the front page already recommending Pot Limit and No Limit Poker. Also, you wouldn't have to look much further and you will find another million threads advising limit books.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM

Default best books for \"player types\" & \"reading hands\"

hi,

i really find this forum helpful.

looking to buy a couple more books in the next few weeks.

i have:

sklansky (HPFAP, TOP
miller (SSHE)
Harrington I and II (great, but assumes good opponents)
yao king
carson
maroon
little green book
lindgren
kill phil
a few others (hellmuth, a canadian obscure one and one of two others bought from discount bin).

i am looking to get into no-limit and tournaments/SNG's more

what books are the best for reading your opponents and characterizing him/her and then adjusting action.

books i'm thinking of:

ciaffone (mid-level and/or no-limit/PL)
inside poker mind
psychology of poker
russell fox

i still think there's a giant need in the market for a SSHE book, but for no-limit. realizing that we play against tons of callers and want to maximize our winnings against softish players (not wildly soft necessarily)...

i think SSHE was one of the first books that assumed your opponents weren't too great. harrington's books are great, but they assume good opposition for most part AND not these 3-4 callers we often see (i think it's a quandry in SNG's, lots of good opportunities with limpers but almost always constrained by your stack size).

thanks in advance!!!