Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 PM

Default hijack

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: UIUC

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, fellow Chicagoan. Play the Gary boats?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: AA Hand - Correct amounts to Bet?

Ok that make sense. Now I don't really have that strong of a read. If I call how would you play the turn? The turn gives a straight possibility. Is it a check/call line or a bet/fold line? And how big of a bet to check call usually (rule of thumb?)

If blank, I guess all-in bet?

By the way, I think I remember seeing you post in the limit forums before, do you still play limit? What stakes?

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Good questions.

I think the key here is, "after villain's raise and if you think you're ahead." If I have some reason to believe that I have the best hand here, I'll push every single time, for exactly the reson you said. If my opponent is going to continue in the hand, I want him to be making a mistake by doing so. If we were deeper, I'd engineer the largest possible raise that he would call and be incorrect in doing so. But in this case, I don't have the luxury of depth to make such manuvers. The only possible raise is a push here becasue of stack sizes.

However, my advocation of a call is based on the fact that I don't know that I have the best hand. I'm just reading a hand post. I don't have any reads or a feel for the table, all of which you had at the moment. If your instincts tell you you're ahead, follow your instincts. The correct play assuming you are ahead is to push.

It's all very complicated, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 03:38 PM

One of the benefits of just calling the flop raise is that it gives you an escape hatch by controling pot growth.

If I just call the flop, I'll donk the turn for 2/3 PSB, no matter what comes. If a scare card falls and my opponent raises anyway, I pop the hatch and bail. Suprisingly often, the opponent will fold. If he calls with a flush draw, he's making a mistake. If he doesn't fold and he doesn't raiise, you're often put to a difficult decision as to how to play the river. Blocking bets come to the rescue to make this a bit easier.

Most of my ~4000 posts were in the micros forum. If you were hanging out in that forum even 6 months ago, you were probably assaulted by drivel from me. My poker career started in limit & I switched not long ago to no-limit. I played about 250k hands at limits up to 5/10. I was pretty good, not the best ever. After I switched to no-limit, I realized that this is a better game for me. Or rather, I am better suited to no-limit than to limit.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Yeah you must have helped me out with a numerous posts in the micros. Hey is there a good link to a preflop guide for NL from 2+2ers? I searched the forusm but I generally get the "its postflop play that matters" threads.

Anyway here are the results: Villain shows KK. MHIG!

[ QUOTE ]
One of the benefits of just calling the flop raise is that it gives you an escape hatch by controling pot growth.

If I just call the flop, I'll donk the turn for 2/3 PSB, no matter what comes. If a scare card falls and my opponent raises anyway, I pop the hatch and bail. Suprisingly often, the opponent will fold. If he calls with a flush draw, he's making a mistake. If he doesn't fold and he doesn't raiise, you're often put to a difficult decision as to how to play the river. Blocking bets come to the rescue to make this a bit easier.

Most of my ~4000 posts were in the micros forum. If you were hanging out in that forum even 6 months ago, you were probably assaulted by drivel from me. My poker career started in limit & I switched not long ago to no-limit. I played about 250k hands at limits up to 5/10. I was pretty good, not the best ever. After I switched to no-limit, I realized that this is a better game for me. Or rather, I am better suited to no-limit than to limit.

[/ QUOTE ]