Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Flushes are easy 20/40

I was rereading Theory of Poker today and this hand made me recall some things that I read. Seat 1 is a decent but not great regular. It's fairly irrevelant, but Seat 7 is a losing player.

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.05 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.53 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (5.53 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Flushes are easy 20/40

Well does he have the king of hearts or not? With hearts being so live, it sure looks like he caught the flush. The other possibility is that your completion confused him and he has not put you on your flush. If so, he has to be worried about you starting with split aces. You have not paired up so he could be betting with kings up, or even aces up (unlikely).

I net out with him having the flush though. I lean towards raising and hoping like hell he does not have the king of hearts, or that he has misread. If he three bets, call and then call the river again. If he just calls the raise and checks into you on the river, then bet.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:47 AM

Ok, he's got trips or a full house. He could have trips or even two pair and bets because he wants to slow you down, he bet now and don't have to call another bet on the river if unimproved, if makes his boat he will earn one more bet (cause you will at least call the river). But if you raise and he reraises, are you gonna throw your hand away? It will just cost you the same amount to see the hand thru. So why complicate things?
Call him down.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:47 AM

Villain didn't play trip fives this passively up until sixth street. AA in the hole isn't likely either. It looks like a big two pair to me. I raise here!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM

I'm willing to wager that he does not have trip eights here. Do you see why?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:50 AM

Oops! Didn't see the flush, lol. Guess I'm tired (or just lousy)...
Old 11-25-2005, 11:01 AM

But what could he have in the hole except two hearts with either a jack or a king (queen is gone)? A small/medium pair maybe? But wouldn't he then folded on 5th? a high pair? Wouldn't he have raised 4th?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:03 PM

Just a thought, no deep analysis here, but a quick skim of your hand made me think to call 6th and raise the river.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well does he have the king of hearts or not? With hearts being so live, it sure looks like he caught the flush. The other possibility is that your completion confused him and he has not put you on your flush. If so, he has to be worried about you starting with split aces. You have not paired up so he could be betting with kings up, or even aces up (unlikely).

I net out with him having the flush though. I lean towards raising and hoping like hell he does not have the king of hearts, or that he has misread. If he three bets, call and then call the river again. If he just calls the raise and checks into you on the river, then bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when someone else posts exactly what I think and I dont have to type it all out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 12:35 PM

One question that is important to think about is the following: if you were Seat 1 and started with a 3-flush, would you call Hero's bet on fifth street without the king of hearts?