Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Getting broadband to a very remote building?

A building in Spain, miles from anywhere, with no phone line (satellite phone only). Are there any decent solutions for getting broadband, at a cost effective price? E.g. an initial large outlay would be acceptable, if costs were cheap thereafter.

Ideas?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Getting broadband to a very remote building?

[ QUOTE ]
A building in Spain, miles from anywhere, with no phone line (satellite phone only). Are there any decent solutions for getting broadband, at a cost effective price?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to avoid satellite uplink like the plague if you want to play poker. The delay would drive you crazy. you will need to asses the topography. Is it mountainous, wooded, how long is the line of sight? if it within reach of a directional wireless you might need to buy a good antenna at both ends and tie into broadband or T1 in the closest city.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:07 PM

How far can directional wireless go? How reliable is it? Would you rely on it for full a time poker professional?

This could be ideal. The question is fairly hypothetical (at the moment), but the location is likely to be montainous. A line of site with a DSL enabled town is very possible.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:29 PM

I read an article about a guy in a very small mountain town in Colorado, who rigged up a line-of-sight setup to the nearest city. It wasn't cheap, maybe tens of thousands of dollars, but he had money, and so did a lot of his friends in the small town, most of whom commuted to the city. He set up an antenna on his barn, and another on the roof of his building in the city. His buddies kicked in, they ran cable between their houses in the small town, and they all had broadband. The reason it made the news was that it ran afoul of all sorts of laws and regulations and cable franchises. Seems like he was finally able to get a special license because nobody else wanted to provide service. Don't know about Spain, but the point is, it's very possible, expensive, but possible.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 AM

To answer my own question, after some research. 1 mile is easy, 10 miles can be done, and 20 miles is theoretically very possible.

This looks perfect, thanks.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How far can directional wireless go? How reliable is it? Would you rely on it for full a time poker professional?

This could be ideal. The question is fairly hypothetical (at the moment), but the location is likely to be montainous. A line of site with a DSL enabled town is very possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the delay, have been busy. I use wireless and I have no complaints with the equipment. I have had problems with the Broadband ISP so get some feedback from locals before you hookup. The wireless I use is not even directional and it reaches 10 miles with modem and antenna on my end just $200. the antenna on the other end is huge and is 50 meters in the air and broadcast. It will go around some trees and other blocks but the clearer line of sight the better. Directional antennas will cost several hundred american dollars but the modem will not need to be anything special so it will be less than $200. You will probably need to contact someone that knows more than me for any other info as I have not researched this in a couple of years. I did a lot of research on satellite up-link and nearly got my license to install but at the time I just wanted broadband of any kind. This is the best option for you with wireless and should be able to get 30 miles out of directional but the closer the better the connection. If you do get someone to set this up for you tell them to err on the side of caution for reliability if you are making big poker bets. Hope this helps!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:36 AM

OK thanks alot Love. This definately gives me a good starting point to work from.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 AM

Are you refering to a direct up link or a point to point shot from someone else with the transponder ?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:38 PM

uplink and downlink to a remote area. Direct to sattelite, to service provider, to net, back to service provider, to sattelite down to remote location. few second delay for each play.