Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Making the forum better for experienced members / MTTers

The reason why I became a moderator was because I have been very underwhelmed by the content in this forum for the past few months. Rarely do I find a strategy post or a hand that I think is very interesting. I think this is mainly an issue that I have learned so much from this forum over the past year that most of the discussions are just retreads. They are still tremendously valuable to many of the forum members, but perhaps not quite as valuable to some.

So what can we do about it? Awhile ago I proposed an idea that we have a "Topic of the Week" where we can discuss an intermediate to advanced issue. Many ideas were proposed and I still have that poll to use and will get something up for next week (this will be tied into the weekly post that Jurollo has previewed).

But what else can we do? I'd like to hear from some of the more experienced forum members (or new to the forum but established tournament players in larger $ events). What can we be doing that provides more value to you and helps take you to the next level of play?

For the newer folks, please note that we're working on a bit of stuff directly focused on you like an FAQ and links to some of the great threads of the past. But this topic is directed to the more experienced players among us.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Making the forum better for experienced members / MTTers

Lloyd, I may be in love with you. I was thinking of making a post along these lines. I like the idea of an abstract topic for discussion per week or something like this. Generally though, I have no real new ideas.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 PM

I think a topic of the week would be a great idea, and maybe something like a hand of the day, by one of the mods- especially one where us non-mods could submit interesting hands that we played.

And uh, I think I have "established" myself with my higher buy in deep finishes (and so many 2nds and 3rds... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img])
Old 09-06-2005, 02:15 PM

I've posted on various other forums for a reasonable period of time.. and the main reason I came here is because i was tired of all the non-content posts and the lack of good theory/strategic conversation you got there

In the main, I have been relatively happy with the standard of posting on here.

One thing I have found, is that you can only go SO far with core strategy and theory. Its in the books, experienced posters will have seen it a million times before, but at the same time.. you have to give back what you got out of the forum.

These posts that you dont find stimulating anymore.. I bet you found them stimulating when you first started posting here.. the worst thing you can do is to glance over it and find it too boring to reply to

that is the reason why RGP went to the sewers.. all the good posters outgrew themselves.. they took the experience/info.. and then bled it dry and left without *returning the favor*

I am a relative n000b on here.. but not in poker.. so I just wanted to urge the better posters here not to *abandon* the posts.. otherwise this place can and will go downhill as fast as RGP.

I hope you dont take this as any sort of criticism, I mean it in the best of spirits. I saw the *hit-and-run* effect at RGP, and I sure dont want to see it happen here
Old 09-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Topic of the week. Great idea!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 PM

I think one idea would be to propose a set of circumstances, like duplicate bridge, and let two or three of the top players put forth their plan of attack.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:31 PM

I think you'll see that most of us continue to respond to many of the posts and do believe in contributing as much (or more) than we have taken.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:49 PM

I think this idea is pretty damn good.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 PM

I think we focus too much on nlhe concepts. throwing in some problems regarding MTT endgame strategy in other forms of poker will be good for stetching the 'poker' brain. it disgusts me how some mtter's here completely disregard stuff like stud8 and o8 and plo and etc. no offense intended.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:05 PM

I nominate rehashing MLG's Knowingly taking the worst of it. as a post of the week.

I don't think his original post got the attention or deep thought that it should have.

There is a lot to this topic, and I would like to see more discussion.

Regards,
Woodguy