Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:01 PM

Default ARE B&M PLAYERS BETTER THAN INTERNET PLAYERS?....YES

I think that based on WSOP results, B&M players will consistantly out perform internet players over the long run.

The above statement is a starting point to get some dialouge going.Comments please
Old 07-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: ARE B&M PLAYERS BETTER THAN INTERNET PLAYERS?....YES

Duhhhhh.

The WSOP is a B&M tournament, so obviously the B&M players will have an advantage playing in it.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:44 PM

It's certainly possible, and even likely, that top B&M players are better than top Online players but at the lower and lower-mid limits I think online players would slaughter B&M players (caveat is online players give off tells and are less adept at reading them-initially).

I've seen 1/2 limit games online playing like 10/20 live limit games, some probably even play like 20/40.

Live there are a greater proportion of drinkers/gamblers plunking down $500 to 'try out' poker. I've sat in live games where people barely knew what beat what. They played roulette, blackjack, etc. and they are stopping by to play poker on their gambling fest.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM

Perhaps, but even the very best of the best B&M'er won't be able to compensate for playing 30-40hands per hour instead of 400+ (not to mention rakeback).
Old 07-18-2005, 03:23 PM

No question that online players are MUCH better in small stakes limit games than B&M players. IMO, 4/8 Foxwoods plays like microlimits online. Incredibly soft soft game.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:32 PM

I should clarify what I meant to say in my post. I do not believe that B&M players are better than Internet players. The WSOP is bringing in the best of the best players, and the difference in skill between the top B&M and Internet players is negligible. However, given that a B&M player has more experience picking up on physical tells, dealing with the slow game pace and long sessions, they have some of an edge of the internet players.

The difference however between a 4/8 B&M and 4/8 Internet player is massive, I thought we were just referring to the pro-level tournament players.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think that based on WSOP results, B&M players will consistantly out perform internet players over the long run.

The above statement is a starting point to get some dialouge going.Comments please

[/ QUOTE ]

B&M players are only better at B&M high stakes, and that's only because on average they have more B&M experience. I'd back the online player in every other scenario (online any stakes, and B&M small stakes).

-ptmusic
Old 07-18-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No question that online players are MUCH better in small stakes limit games than B&M players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any B&M player who has worked their way up from small stakes to the bigger games would do just as good, if not better than an online player in a small stakes live game because the online person relies heavily on extra tools to get them by: PokerTracker, Notes, etc.

In an online game, it would be more of a toss up, though the edge would be to the online player because of their knowledge of the tools.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any B&M player who has worked their way up from small stakes to the bigger games would do just as good, if not better than an online player in a small stakes live game because the online person relies heavily on extra tools to get them by: PokerTracker, Notes, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason internet players use these tools is because of multi-tabling and the high volume of hands they see an hour.

Do you seriously think any skilled internet player can't pick up on how loose/aggressive or whatever a player is in a B&M game?

What do you think happens when someone used to playing 300+ hands an hour all of a sudden has time to watch and study a game going at the rate of 30 hands an hour?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:17 PM

I love these discussions, because when they take place online, the consensus is Internet Players are best and if the discussion takes place around the poker table, then B&M players are best.

I think there is such a broad range of players and abilities that is is similar to two fleas arguing over who owns the dog they are riding on.

I played 5-10 on crypto last night and some of the players were better than the average 5-10 B&M player and some were worse.