Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 02:38 AM

Default KK against large field

Typical LP table, not sure I did anything right on the flop. Comments please.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 12-21-2004, 02:40 AM

Default Re: KK against large field

You played it right. I prob fold the turn unimproved as well.

Would it be incorrect to fold the flop after being raised, anyone?? he knows you raised PF and hes telling you he's not scared.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:57 AM

I would have 3-bet the flop and if capped, called and folded unimproved on turn. If not capped, I would check through the turn and take the free card. Then if a single bet back to me on river, I would call it.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:58 AM

If you're confident that this player (not an overall table read, but this specific player) is a very straight-forward, passive player, then it's fine.

But if SB is at least a semi-decent agressive player, he may check-raise the field here to thin it out with as little as a pair of queens. Your raise from the button doesn't need to indicate high cards or a monster pair. You could have raised JJ-88 in that spot with that many limpers, as well as many other hands that play well multi-way.

It's even better for you because he managed (amazingly) to weed out the 5 other players. I may 3-bet him here to see how he responds. (Bet the turn if he only calls, call-fold unimproved if he caps, fold to a stop and go.)
Old 12-21-2004, 03:04 AM

You already put money in on the flop, I think it's worth calling on the off chance of improving your hand (yeah slim). Also from my experience and from what I have read, it is bad to fold in the same round you bet as people paying attention will notice this and use it against you. (again slim chance at micro-limits, but a habit I have gotten into except in rare situations as I don't intend to stay in micros forever and I think I should learn the good habits now).

As I said in my other post though. I would have personally 3-bet it as I very likely still have the best hand and or will find out I don't from a cap. I would play it a bit slower though since I was bet into on the flop.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 AM

You might not find out. Even a somewhat aggro player might just call down with Ax from a 3bet.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:09 AM

Hence the reason I check through on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 03:12 AM

I might like a flop 3bet, and if SB checks the turn, bet it, and take the free showdown.

Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:12 AM

either the small blind is a 2+2er or a clown. if he made this play with a queen, it was pretty nasty.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:15 AM

the small blinds play is consistent with a weak hand or someone who is seriously misplaying a good hand. even though the check/raise is scary it appears to be made to thin the field.