Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:41 AM

Default A tough decision

This is the second hand of a $20+2.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t800)
Hero (t770)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t770)
SB (t920)
BB (t770)
UTG (t770)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t175</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls t100.

<font color="green">The re-raise usually means JJ+, AK, but the hand I see here more often than any other is QQ and there's always those donks doing this w/ 88, even stuff like AQ, AJs.</font>

Flop: (t390) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

<font color="green">Good news: I hit TPTK. Bad news: Villain might just have hit trip queens. Maybe I'm seeing too many monsters under my bed, but in any case I'm checking behind here. Sort of a way ahead/way behind spot.</font>

Turn: (t390) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t125</font>, Hero calls t125.

<font color="green">His bet doesn't mean much to me, there's a ton of hands that bet this turn. I'm torn between calling (which basically assumes I'm ahead) or raising to something like 320 and fold to a push. I ended up calling.</font>

River: (t640) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t225</font>, Hero?

<font color="green">I'm almost folding this, but then again I have TPTK in a $22. What would you do? Why?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: A tough decision

I posted a very similar hand to this one about 2 months ago or so. I remember it being very balanced on whether you wanted to push this flop or just call it down. I prefer to call this down. WA/WB situation here.

*Edit* It's a little different, but here's the hand I'm talking about. Read through it.

kyro wants to fold top two!

*Second Edit* I was reading through that thread and I found it amusing that this was before Megabet turned into a giant troll. He had very insightful things to say rather than "I'm better than you and stanzee sucks!" I miss that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:57 AM

I'd play it the same. There are more than enough donkeys in the 22s that will do this with TT to make this a pretty standard call on the river.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:52 AM

i bet the flop thats just me, but pretty easy call on the river i think
Old 10-29-2005, 03:24 AM

Does anyone raise the river?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:36 AM

Id push preflop, if not then Id definately push on this flop. I think your ahead here way more often then not.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:26 AM

did you think about reraising the turn?
Old 10-29-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Id push preflop, if not then Id definately push on this flop. I think your ahead here way more often then not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing PF is not good. The BB reraised you big. He COULD be a donk, but a good portion of the time he's either going to have a pocket pair in which case you're on the sucky side of a coinflip or crushed.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:56 AM

Why not bet the flop after he checks ahead of you to find out where you are ?
I think there may be a chance if he does have trips that he raises fearing a straight draw or that you have hit two pair and are drawing to a boat.
If he reraises my bet on the flop I'm done.
It's the 2nd hand and I'd play as if he is a good solid tight player until he proves otherwise.

Just checkig behind tells you nothing IMO.
If you also had a draw to a hand that beats trips after the flop then I agree with checking and taking the free card.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet the flop after he checks ahead of you to find out where you are ?
I think there may be a chance if he does have trips that he raises fearing a straight draw or that you have hit two pair and are drawing to a boat.

Just checkig behind tells you nothing IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. What actions that he can take will give you information about where you are in the hand.

2. What is so important about knowing "where you are in the hand." I'm genuinely curious if there is a reason as opposed to throwing around a catchy phrase you heard someone use once.