Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Cardinals-Astros Matchups

A guy who can play first, second, third, short, pinch hit, has won a WS with NYY in 2000 and is very knowledgable about the game and whose teammates highly respect?

Nah, that can't be a good thing... you're right. We will leave him off the roster and let the purchase the batboy's contract from Clear Creek High School and let him fill that spot.

Do STL fans know how versatile our bench is?

Let me break it down:

Luke Scott (left handed rookie...has HR power...plays outfield. No big woop)

Orlando Palmeiro (veteran left-handed PHer who also started several games in OF this year and at one point was hitting .330)

Jose Vizcaino (veteran who can PH, switch hit, and play any INF position. Also plenty comfy starting)

Chris Burke (Rookie. Can play 2nd or LF. Has some power, has good speed. Suitable for late-inning PRing. Hit almost .250 this year with 40-something RBI's in rookie campaign while having to learn LF. As we know, capable of delivering longball in series changing situations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Raul Chavez (Backup catcher with little PRO experience. No bat. Slight pop. Fat. Slow. But Oswalt likes him and that's why he's on the team.)

Eric Bruntlett (SUPER SUB. Can play 3rd, short, 2nd, first, LF, CF, RF. Can pinch-hit, or spot-start. Has a few game winning hits this season, including a 3 run homer in WASH in extras. Also a very good baserunner with his only slightly-fast speed. Well respected as a gamer)

Jeff Bagwell (Future Hall of famer. Can't play the field anymore but has already proven himself in PH role. Is available for late-inning game-changing situations. La Russa can't like knowing this.)
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM

See my previous post. You are right about Everett though, he's not confident in swiping bags, but he is fast. Bruntlett may be able to PR and steal too.

Don't underestimate Ausmus, he's a true gamer. He got hit in the throwing hand by a Cub near the end of the season, cut it up, stayed in the game and threw a guy out next inning who tried to steal. He was on the radio a few days ago saying that he still hasn't stitched it up, it's like an open wound. lol. Nasty.

Plus last year we played a game against Milwaukee that was tied and Podsednik was on 2nd. Base hit up the middle and Beltran threw home and Pods LEVELLED Ausmus but he held on to the ball to keep the game tied. We won it in extras and went on to win the wild card by 1 game last year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] After the game Ausmus was checked on and he suffered a minor concussion on that play. What a gamer.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See my previous post. You are right about Everett though, he's not confident in swiping bags, but he is fast. Bruntlett may be able to PR and steal too.

Don't underestimate Ausmus, he's a true gamer. He got hit in the throwing hand by a Cub near the end of the season, cut it up, stayed in the game and threw a guy out next inning who tried to steal. He was on the radio a few days ago saying that he still hasn't stitched it up, it's like an open wound. lol. Nasty.

Plus last year we played a game against Milwaukee that was tied and Podsednik was on 2nd. Base hit up the middle and Beltran threw home and Pods LEVELLED Ausmus but he held on to the ball to keep the game tied. We won it in extras and went on to win the wild card by 1 game last year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] After the game Ausmus was checked on and he suffered a minor concussion on that play. What a gamer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt I love Ausmus don't get me wrong but when we were talking stricly about the the better defensive catcher as far as ability the nod has to go to Molina.

Ausmus is swinging a hot bat right now though and has been for the last month.

I hope you are right about being able to grab a few bags but I don't see it happening to much. It all depends on who is on the mound. I am not familar with the Card Pitcher's times to home but they would need something pretty slow to grab one if Molina is putting it to second around 1.90 or under.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
STL's bullpen is a better than Houston's. They're 4 deep (Ishringhausen, Reyes, Eldred, Tavarez) + whoever they decide not to make their 4th starter while Houston's is just 3 deep. Solid edge for STL there. You're going to need more than 3 guys in the bullpen if Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte can't go 7+ innings consistently, but they probably can. Still, I'd rather have STL's depth.

SS, I think Eckstein contributes much more. You don't give up .1 of OPS and expect them to equal. Eck's glove just isn't that bad.

And you missed catcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe that right now the Cards bullpen is better right now after they gave up 8 runs in three games to the Padres. Where as the Astros bullpen only gave up 5 runs in 4 games against a much better Braves team which included 2 runs in a game they were blowing them out in so they were just making the Braves put the ball in play vs. throwing their best out stuff.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 AM

Nobody will run on Mulder/Molina.

But is Mulder even going to pitch this series, or is he still hurt?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of these guys are over 35 I believe, and have years of experience under their belts.

[/ QUOTE ]

In sports age is not always your friend. (see Reggie Sanders and Larry Walker for examples).

[ QUOTE ]
Edmonds and Pujols? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should go read a book and take a break from posting. Your baseball ignorance is really shining through.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which included 2 runs in a game they were blowing them out in so they were just making the Braves put the ball in play vs. throwing their best out stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone may have missed the scores of the Cardinal's games?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of these guys are over 35 I believe, and have years of experience under their belts.

[/ QUOTE ]

In sports age is not always your friend. (see Reggie Sanders and Larry Walker for examples).

[ QUOTE ]
Edmonds and Pujols? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should go read a book and take a break from posting. Your baseball ignorance is really shining through.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a point that the Stros have more vet. leaders than the Cardinals. Anyone who argues that is insane. Pujols is like 25??

Clemens, Pettitte, Ausmus, Biggio, Bagwell, Vizcaino, Palmeiro..... the Cards have Walker, Sanders, and Edmonds sort-of as a vet. leader but I don't know what kind of clubhouse guy he is. It's highly publicized that all of the Astros I've named are knowledgable of the game, have years of experience, and are great in the clubhouse.

Please don't argue this, it makes you look really really foolish, bro.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Edmonds and Pujols? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a point that the Stros have more vet. leaders than the Cardinals. Anyone who argues that is insane. Pujols is like 25??

Clemens, Pettitte, Ausmus, Biggio, Bagwell, Vizcaino, Palmeiro..... the Cards have Walker, Sanders, and Edmonds sort-of as a vet. leader but I don't know what kind of clubhouse guy he is. It's highly publicized that all of the Astros I've named are knowledgable of the game, have years of experience, and are great in the clubhouse.

Please don't argue this, it makes you look really really foolish, bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but Vet. leadership means SQUAT at the end of the day. You gotta play the game on the field, not in the dugout! If it was up to vet. leadership, the Braves would of won hands down because Julio Franco is worth like 15 vet. leaders by himself!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
which included 2 runs in a game they were blowing them out in so they were just making the Braves put the ball in play vs. throwing their best out stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone may have missed the scores of the Cardinal's games?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several people in this thread making qaulity arguments and backing them up with stats and insight. You aren't doing any of this.

Stop posting air. Please, try to offer some insight so we can understand your brilliant thought process