Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you do with AQ?
Reraise. 3 6.00%
Call. 20 40.00%
Fold. 23 46.00%
I wouldn't have bet this flop. 1 2.00%
I wouldn't have raised preflop. 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Poll: VPIP table Average you look for.. or no?

Im curious to how people find a "good" table. When I say weak/loose player, I mean relatively weak/loose for the stakes you are playing. Please dont vote if you dont play at a specific stakes.

Thanks for any answers...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Poll: VPIP table Average you look for.. or no?

Good results here so far. Sort of surprised that people are able to hunt down tables that are that loose.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Here is my 6max table selection. I open up 4 random tables as fast I can by joining the wait lists. I sit down and let PAHud bring up their stats while I usually play an orbit (or sometimes this happens before I play the BB).

I then look at the stats of the two guys sitting on my right and the guy immediately to my left. If I don't like my relative position I leave. I don't worry about table VPIP or table PFR, I am only concerned about the opponents on my right and left (I am more concerned about the guys on my right).
Old 08-30-2005, 03:12 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I do that too but I'm a nit and don't post until the stats come up and I know it's a good table.

interesting thoughts on just worrying about the 2 behind and the one in front. you just look for the worst players as possible behind you and someone not too aggressive in frnot of you?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:14 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I just use table average VPIP. when the games are good I can get 8 tables >40 VPIP. when they're bad I can get 6-8 >36. if not, I just screw table selection and sit at 15/30 6-max
Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do that too but I'm a nit and don't post until the stats come up and I know it's a good table.

interesting thoughts on just worrying about the 2 behind and the one in front. you just look for the worst players as possible behind you and someone not too aggressive in frnot of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, that's generally it. Even if that guy to my left is 50/30 (obviously shitty) I simply find that playing against him is too hard. I can't play my game and have to adapt to him. If I isolate he is going to 3-bet too often and put too much pressure on me. Yah, yah, I know I can check raise him, but in general I have to adapt my play to him instead of the other way around. I want to be in control.

I also don't like it when I have a really good TAG on my left who isn't afraid of playing back at me lots.

Other than that I'm just a little bit picky. If both the guys behind me suck I don't care about who is on my left. If the guy directly to my right is really bad I also probably don't care much about the other guy on my right or the guy on my left. I am happy to have one of these guys to my right play really bad poker.

If the guy two to my right is bad, and the guy one to my right is a TAG who is isolated freely, and the guy to my left is also good then I'm out of there.

I think you know what I'm getting at.

I'm just taking this table selection thing seriously in the past month and a half but at 10/20-6 max I think relative seat position is very very important. Sometimes I make do without this and play at marginal tables but I am always aware of when I am in a bad spot and will leave a table fast.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:19 PM

when I was playing 3/6 i stopped using a HUD constantly and just played two to three random tables. I paid close attention to one to my left two to my right and left if they weren't satisfactory I left. I did very well.

edit: I guess my point is that in juicy games stats don't tell you everything. there are lots of new short-handed players at the 3/6 and 5/10 that suck so bad postflop just watching them play is more insightful then any numbers PT or PE spits out.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 PM

I stopped using Table VPIP a while back and now just focus on individual players and relative position. If there's a big donator but two TAGs on his left, he's not nearly enough to get me to sit at the table. Give me a seat to a donator's left, and maybe another donator / quasi donator somewhere on the table, and I'll play even if the other players at the table are solid.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yah, that's generally it. Even if that guy to my left is 50/30 (obviously shitty) I simply find that playing against him is too hard. I can't play my game and have to adapt to him. If I isolate he is going to 3-bet too often and put too much pressure on me. Yah, yah, I know I can check raise him, but in general I have to adapt my play to him instead of the other way around. I want to be in control.

I also don't like it when I have a really good TAG on my left who isn't afraid of playing back at me lots.

Other than that I'm just a little bit picky. If both the guys behind me suck I don't care about who is on my left. If the guy directly to my right is really bad I also probably don't care much about the other guy on my right or the guy on my left. I am happy to have one of these guys to my right play really bad poker.

If the guy two to my right is bad, and the guy one to my right is a TAG who is isolated freely, and the guy to my left is also good then I'm out of there.

I think you know what I'm getting at.

I'm just taking this table selection thing seriously in the past month and a half but at 10/20-6 max I think relative seat position is very very important. Sometimes I make do without this and play at marginal tables but I am always aware of when I am in a bad spot and will leave a table fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Ive found I also get better results when the weak/loose people are directly to my right and no tricky loose/aggressive people to my left. It can be hard to play when someone to your left always "tests" you.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:07 PM

Once you have found the ideal table by VPIP, how important is your actual position on the table as to whether you stay at the table?

For example, if you have annoying fish to your left who wont fold any blind, or cold calls your raises, basically hindering your efforts to isoloate one of 2 fishs acting first on your right?

Or just generally out of position against 2 weak fish, would you look for anothe rtable where you can be in the ideal position, or is the fact the table is 40vpip+ enough?

Ive been playing low limits where theres always fish, recently ive been playing $3/$6 and finding myself at awful tables, not giving selection any effort.

Today was my first day of actually seeking good tables and hunting fish. A permanent fixture in playing from now on.

Im not fully understanding the best method of tables selection,
I opened up 8 tables, then waited 10 mins, then using the PokerTracker filter highlighted the fish players, then I searched for as many as possible at once on Party search, then looked at which ones had a only 5 players at a table then sat in.

I did this playing only 2 tables, but for players playing 4 tables there must be an easier way, what am I missing?

I generally use Pokertracker Game time to highlight table stats.