Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Default crazy flushes - misplayed hands

Ok, here's the hand

5-10 6max 5-handed.

UTG ($1200)
MP ($800)
LP ($1000)
SB ($1000)
BB ($1400)

UTG w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] raises to $30
MP w/ T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] calls
LP calls w/ XX
SB calls w/ XX
BB calls w/ J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop ($150) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets $125, UTG calls, MP raises all-in for $645 more ($770 total), LP folds, SB folds, BB pushes in, UTG calls...

UTG has been playing tight so far. LP has not been getting out of line either. BB has been playing aggressive but nothing too crazy. - so no great reads for anyone...

Who played this hand the worst? I saw a showdown here - which player was I?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: crazy flushes - misplayed hands

I don't think MP did anything wrong this hand. I don't like the BB's push but it could be right. UTG could be calling drawing dead if one has a set and the other has the nut flush draw. Despite the large pot, I think a fold after all the craziness is correct.

So, I like the MP's play (the preflop call is a bit loose), but think that the BB's push and the UTG call are both marginal. Also FWIW, I like the BB's leadout; just the push is very dicey.

PS was this on party?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:07 AM

this was on full tilt last night and I agree w/ your analysis.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM

MP's play seems fine. UTG is eh. AQ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] would be better here obviously. I'm not crazy over BB play either, though if he thinks UTG call here with AA/KK that juices up the pot a bit.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM

I was the BB and thought that w/ my reraise push (which I'm pretty sure was a bad play) would

a) hopefully make UTG fold a draw
b) maybe fold an overpair

obviously my read was off and the parlay of events that had to happen were too much of a longshot for this play.

Results, not that they matter, was that the flush was completed on the turn so UTG took the whole pot. Sort of surprised he called with the K high flush draw there as he's most likely against a set and nut draw. Oh well...
Old 07-14-2005, 12:42 PM

You want him to fold a draw, but if its the nut draw, that likely won't happen. The KQs call though, is IMO very bad.

You want him to call with an overpair though; the chances are if he calls with an overpair it doesn't affect your equity much and it juices the pot up.

Unfortunately, its more likely the guy will fold an overpair in that spot, but call with the draw.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree w/ your analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too....MP good....BB and UTG, not so much.....UTG play was probably worse than BB's
Old 07-14-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who played this hand the worst?

[/ QUOTE ]

pf all was played fine.

flop bb has 4flush plus nutgut i like leading out to 3bet all in. that looks nice.

utg cold calling almost pot with people left to act with non nut flush is bad. i dont like his play. would be different with AKs or folded to him.

mp pushing either best hand or best draw is only option other then folding. to fold he needs to put original bettor on better made and cold caller on better draw, which is possible, but if i hit this flop w/ T8s i shove too, not good enough to fold that there. so his play is fine but questionable.

BB's push is fine when it comes back to him, UTG seems like a draw, i doubt any overpair can call there, and once again UTG's call there when he could be drawing dead and not really great odds (1000ish more to win 2800) so he should fold for a 2nd time.

What do I think? UTG played it badly, MP and BB played it fine.

Who were you? I'm taking a flier and put you on J9s, only because BB has most chips and I think you're a good player, so it makes sense for you to have table covered =)

* although you could be T8s. I hope / dont think you were utg.

fun post.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was the BB and thought that w/ my reraise push (which I'm pretty sure was a bad play

[/ QUOTE ]

WOOOOO i nail it.

i think you played it well.

[ QUOTE ]
a) hopefully make UTG fold a draw
b) maybe fold an overpair

[/ QUOTE ]

utg never has B, and he should fold A, so good thinking. he just effed it up for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Sort of surprised he called with the K high flush draw there as he's most likely against a set and nut draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, he made 2 bad plays