Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Default KK : Bad beat or my failure to protect.

Edit: Ok both these players in this hand have been raising their premium ands calling with others. I thought they were both sort of fishy and would fall for this trap. I got sucked out on, but maybe I didn't set the trap right.. Any thoughts?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (5.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

River: (14.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17.70 BB

Did I fail to protect or is this just a bad beat? Would any of you play it differently?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: KK : Bad beat or my failure to protect.

Not sure why you didn't bet the turn - afraid of QQ? Aside from the turn, I don't see how else you can play the hand. Certainly you are not folding, even when the 9 pairs on the river.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:08 PM

What in the world in going on after the turn card falls?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 PM

WIthout any reads, this hand is impossible to diagnose. If you check the flop will at least one late position player bet? If you feel that this will happen a majority of the time, a C/R isn't a bad move, though, I would hate to see this get checked through and an A pop up on the turn. You need to lead the turn, IMHO, and call a raise, though, 3 betting is not a bad idea, esp if an agressive player raises you. And lead/call the river.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Ok...The idea is to get the maximum amount from my hand. Many players habitually bet when the raiser checks on the turn. I was pretty sure that the UTG had a queen so I decided to check raise to get maximum value. IN Sklansky's "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" he says I should be checkraising the turn 60% of the time. Maybe I am misreading his words. Open to advice.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
was pretty sure that the UTG had a queen

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to have to share with my how you figured that out.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 PM

Well I looked at it this way. What hands would this player be playing under the gun. So far this player was raising with premium hands, and calling with others. And since there was no raising preflop, I tossed out 1010, and QQ. 99 is a possibility but if he was staying till the turn, I would just have to pay him off. Since I thought he would most likely raise me with TPTK to isolate me, I put them both on drawing hands. In fact, UTG did have QJ, and the other player had 89. If you had QJ would you have bet the turn? It's just something to think about. I thought they would bet if one of them hit a pair, and they did, and I C/R to get maximum value. THanks for any advice to help me improve my play.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
was pretty sure that the UTG had a queen

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to have to share with my how you figured that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

He looked into his soul.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM

Crispy:

I don't mean any offense by this, but saying that you think this guy has a Q in this situation is really ridiculous, and my question was simply rhetorical in nature.

Not betting this turn is bad whether your talking about value or protection.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:40 PM

I dont think you played it too bad. Reason you lost this one was that MP1 was a donk. Bet out on the turn and hope UTG raises you so MP1 faces two cold.