Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Playing against females

Hey, I'm fairly new to poker (a few months) but i notice that i play differently against females.

In my experience (twice in a b & m, 2/4 limit holdem), i've played against three of em. First was a old lady (very tight), middle age lady (weak), and a very fine looking one (tight and weak). Those are my reads and I was fairly correct, but my question is.

Do you guys play differently against women? I tend to softplay them and believe that when they check (weak hand) and when they bet (strong hand). It turns out, I am wrong so far in my two sessions of playing these women.

For example, the middle age lady hit her set and I hit top pair on flop. I bet and she calls. 4th st comes and i check, she checks. river comes, and i still have top pair with ace kicker (possible flush on fourth st and blank on river). I fake a check and i notice that she is about to flip her cards over, so i bet thinking top pair is best (against her failed four to flush draw). Turns out she flips over a set of 3's. Thinking to myself, I would freaken raise with that hand. wtf.

she tells me that she thought i had a straight ( I didn't even notice a straight on board, plus my image is sort of a maniac at the time)...

Women and poker, what do u think of em? especially the hot looking ones? dame she was one fine looking lady. ( I didn't hit on her, i have lots of respect for competition)

thanks for the replies

-YoungOne
Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Playing against females

sooooo...

what you are sayign is you are a weak tight angle shooter?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Women and poker, what do u think of em? especially the hot looking ones?

-YoungOne

[/ QUOTE ]

I like them. Especially the ones with big tits [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 PM

makes the scenery so much nicer.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:37 PM

when have us females not been sneaky??

watch your chips.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:19 AM

I also like them. The level of my game goes down as their hotness level on the standard 1-10 scale goes up, but I still prefer to have a few at the table. One time I had full control of a wildly profitable 10/20 table during prime hours, I was doing quite well there, but I switched to the 1-5 stud table because there was a perfect 10 sitting there. I don't even know how to play stud beyond the rules of the game.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:08 AM

It's alright to make generalizations, but be ready to change your opinion quickly when it can cost you. But I'd avoid making poor plays based on an unfounded read. There are more reasons for a woman to be a bad poker player (though once you get past the male companion poker player you start running thin, unless you want to start talking averages and math skills), but for each case you could easily be up against someone who's got all the necessary skills and more (also 'bad' is relative. I know a few couple where the girl is by no means a winning player but manages to deal with the ego and boredom/looseness issues better than the man - so they're better sheerly by being tighter).

How do I deal with it? I try to counteract my unconscious stereotyping with conscious observation of betting patterns.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:50 PM

i will admit i am cocky enough to think i can beat any woman at the table simply because she is a woman and i am a man. i'm working on it. last week this girl check raised me on the flop when i missed with ace king, i got very upset and said "did you learn that on TV?" i folded face up and she showed me her top pair good kicker (T's w/King kicker). if a guy did that i would make the same comment back, but i was tempted to reraise just to say "hey lady, i won't be pushed around."

chauvenistic? perhaps, but at least i am willing to admit it and i am working on it.

now i would not feel the same way at higher levels, i'm merely a micro limit player. if i were to sit at a table with the likes of harman, duke, liebert, or violette, i'd be scared $(@*less! i know there are great female poker players out there, just none at the games i play =O
Old 06-25-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i will admit i am cocky enough to think i can beat any woman at the table simply because she is a woman and i am a man. i'm working on it. last week this girl check raised me on the flop when i missed with ace king, i got very upset and said "did you learn that on TV?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL That's great! Watch out for flying palms and cocktails. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are more reasons for a woman to be a bad poker player

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Did you just say the opposite of what you meant? The rest of your post made too much sense. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What proportion of woman play poker because they are either someone’s boyfriend or need to pay the bills?

What proportion of men play poker because they are either someone’s girlfriend or need to pay the bills?