Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2002, 09:16 PM

Default 5\'s and 10\'s

A straight in HE has either a 5 or a 10, but not both. All else being equal, do hole cards holding a 5 or a 10 have more value?
Old 11-18-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Re: 5\'s and 10\'s

No.

Old 11-19-2002, 03:33 AM

I wouldn't think so, I was playing 4-8 w/this guy and he told me that he always plays 5-10 b/c you can't make a straight w/o it. Why would it matter the board will contain the 5 or 10 most of the time anyway. Besides, you shouldn't go into a hand just looking to make a 1-card straight w/5 or 10, just play good cards, and if you make a straight, be happy if it holds up.

-D.J.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:04 AM

Default Yes...

But not much. There's a reason why A5 is better than A6 (and many reasons why AT is better than A9)

Josh W
Old 11-19-2002, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Yes...

You're using examples which distort the issue. A5 and AT make straights using both cards.

A5 is marginally better than A6. However, K6 is better than K5. The same goes for Q6 vs. Q5, J6 vs. J5, and T6 vs. T5.

Old 11-20-2002, 03:05 AM

I didn't say it was a lot better. I believe there are other examples, as well (T6 vs J6). But you agree with me. A5 is better than A6, for the very same reason that the original author discussed.

Josh
Old 11-20-2002, 03:24 AM

I believe there are other examples, as well (T6 vs J6)

All you are doing is saying that hands which can make a straight using both cards are slightly better than hands with a slightly better kicker but can't make a straight using both cards. That has nothing to do with saying a hand has more value because it has a Ten or 5 in it.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:52 AM

I remember the old Dynasty...they Dynasty that was humble and not so unwilling to admit that he was wrong.

Dynasty, let me ask you this...

You have Ax.

You've looked at the first card in the SB...it's is the Ah.

You know that the other card is a 5 or a 6. Would you rather it be a 5 or a 6? Does your hand become more valuable because it has a 5 in it (vs. a 6, 7, or 8?). Yes, yes it does. We both know this. You said 'no' to the initial poster, and now refuse to change your statement, whereas, the real answer to his question is:

yes. In some circumtances, having a 5 or T in your hand is better than having a bigger card. All other things being equal, there are times WHERE THERE IS VALUE IN HAVING A 5.

But you won't be caught dead admitting this. It's too bad that somebody who wants to be respected (and is) is so unwilling to respect other people, and so unwilling to say he's been wrong.

Too bad.

Josh
Old 11-21-2002, 05:33 AM

You must be remembering the intitial question wrong so I'll reprint it.

All else being equal, do hole cards holding a 5 or a 10 have more value?

The correct answer is no. There are certainly hands which have value and contain a Ten or 5 (A5 is better than A6) but that's not the question he's asking.

In your examples, you are not maintaining "all else being equal". You are giving examples where specifically a Ten or 5 improves the hand.

You should look at your first card, see a 5 (or Ten), and ask yourself "Does my hand have more value now?"

Old 11-25-2002, 10:31 AM

I would think very marginally. Probably more value in making it harder for your opponent to hit a straight (because there are less 5s and Ts available)if you are already ahead. eg 55 or TT vs A8

Regards

Pastor