Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: SSH Preflop Chart

am i the only one who doesn't play hands like J9s and Q9s? i just can't bring myself to limp these hands unless im in SB.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:51 AM

No. IMO, Q9s bites, but J9s is OK for 1 bet in MP or LP. I'll play Q9s from CO or Button for 1 bet with at least 3 callers in front of me depending on who they are.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one who doesn't play hands like J9s and Q9s? i just can't bring myself to limp these hands unless im in SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should generally be playing them in lp if 2 players have limped. Id say it's even playable against one depending on the limper. Of course you could choose to raise 1 limper. IMO these hands depend a lot on who limped. I've started playing a lot more hands against loose limpers and my winrate is the better for it.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is an interesting thread but I am really looking for some discussion on how A7s-A2s can make money by limping with them in a tight game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean open limping I don't think they can be profitable. I understand where this line of thinking comes from, but I don't think it applies to the low limit internet games.

The 3 or 4 times I played 3/6 live. It basically played like a play money table, without the raising. If you limp everyone at the table will follow, and I mean everyone. I limped J5s one time, and I think it was the right play. Now I wasn't open limping, but you get the point. Online you don't have a family pot every third hand with an average of 7 to the flop.

If I get a suited ace in mp in an unopened pot, I might raise with the A7 if I thought I could steal the blinds. Or if there were several tight players and one terrible player on my left I might raise and hope to get hu with the terrible player. But mostly I'm folding them.

Of course in mp3 you should be looking at how loose the players on your left are and raising often if everyone is tight. Note that I'm talking more about A7/6 and not about A2.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:13 PM

In their defense (not that they need it), poker does not lend itself to a nice linear treatment. One thing does not follow after another very well. Dozens of different concepts are frequently in play for any given decision.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 PM

I love those hands and play them a bit over 1/3 of the times I am dealt them (according to PT). That said, they have added nothing to my win rate (directly at least) over the past few months. (They have taken nothing away either, so...)
Old 09-04-2005, 06:11 PM

I have about 130k hands in my database. I don't think that this is a large enough sample to draw conclusions about particular hands (e.g., it says TT > JJ), but I think there are some clues to be seen.

Overall A2s- A7s is neutral
vs <4 opponents is negative
vs >= 4 opponents is positive
in a raised pot is negative
in an unraised pot is positive
vs >= 4 opponents in a raised pot is negative
vs >= 5 opponents in a raised pot is negative

I have taken this to mean that I need to be more careful to ensure that I am playing these when I can get into a multiway pot for 1 bet. (or when I can get HU with a weak limper, as others have pointed out)