Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:31 PM

Default 1/2 overcards backdoor flush draw.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

SB is TAG.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, MP1 folds.

I figure I've got overcards (3 outs), a backdoor flush draw (1.5 outs), and a backdoor straight draw (.5 outs). Enough, or too aggressive?

Turn: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Lots of outs now. I figure there might be some fold equity here.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: 1/2 overcards backdoor flush draw.

Grunching

Without doing any calculations but just going with a gut-feel I wouldn't raise the flop (possible leak?).

My reasoning is that we wont make anyone fold since we are last to act and if we spike top-pair-great-kicker on the turn we get more value from a raise there.
Surprisingly MP1 did fold which must be considerd extremely rare.

With the [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on turn I might try a semi-bluff-raise-rooting-that-he-folds-unimproved-overcards and if we don't make great pair or nut flush on the river I just check behind.

-aron
Old 07-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Call the flop, raise the turn to blow out MP1 and possibly SB when the club hits. Fire again on the river, if necessary.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:54 PM

I think that's a pretty standard flop raise. clean up some of your outs, knock out MP1 and buy yourself a free card on the turn if you want it.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Grunching

PF: standard.
Flop: your calculations are almost correct - a backdoor 1 gap straight is 1 out (2 gap is .5, and BDOESD is 1.5) making your total outs 5.5 - I personally like the flop raise because you have position, and your opponent likely does not have a made hand at this point. You can also take a free card on the turn if you miss completely or only pick up a straight draw.

Turn: Fold equity + 9 more outs + SB is showing weakness = easy bet

River: You are most likely beat by AK or AQ, and on the off chance that the SB hit the board, it's clear he isn't folding. No sense in wasting a bet - easy check.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:58 PM

I think you played this well. Your flop raise got the 3rd guy out, and the sb checked to you on the turn. Sometimes I take the free card on this turn but betting is also good if he may lay down AK.

When he calls it looks like you're beat so checking river ui is good.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:05 PM

I think you played it well, but I would like to know your read on what SB 3-bets with preflop. That could make a difference.

Also, don't you have 8 outs on the flop? (Ax3, Jx3, runner-runner flush, and runner-runner straight). Regardless, I'm raising the flop.

I may have taken a shot at it on the river. This would totally depend on your read of the SB. If you thought he was capable of 3-betting pre-flop and then leading on the flop with Broadway non-paired cards, then I would bet the river. Usually, however, I would call the river like you did.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:09 PM

well played.

really the only question is whether to fire again on the fire and fold UI overcards, but that would be read dependent- plus i doubt you would as you didn't 3-bet preflop, but A8 or A9 is certain possible.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: your calculations are almost correct - a backdoor 1 gap straight is 1 out (2 gap is .5, and BDOESD is 1.5) making your total outs 5.5

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read this post. Can you explain why it's only 5.5 outs? I understand your calculation of the credit we give to different straights. But why isn't there also 3 outs for Aces and 3 outs for Jacks???

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: Fold equity + 9 more outs + SB is showing weakness = easy bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm struggling with the concept of fold equity. How did you calculate it here, and how did that effect your analysis? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:13 PM

Call flop. Call turn. On the flop, you have maybe 3 partial outs at best, no need to raise, getting 3-bet would suck. What hands are you beating with AJo right now that 3-bet you?