Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Raymer Glasses Question on Ebay

Just curious how Greg feels about his picture being used to sell these glasses?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...79431&rd=1
Old 09-26-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Raymer Glasses Question on Ebay

I am pretty certain that the copyright owner in the case of photographs is the photographer, not the person being photographed. So ESPN has the beef here (if those are screen caps) or whoever took the pictures if not.

The auction doesn't say Greg is endorsing anything, it just says he wore the same type of glasses. However, his nickname is used in the auction title... So that's another point of contention. You'd think Greg has vast knowledge of intellectual property law, so maybe he can set that straight.

But if you weren't looking to get into the legalities of this, and just how he "feels", then I wouldn't be surprised if it bothers him a bit, because I would feel the same way.

I can't believe that auction ended at $55 bucks though. A little digging and you can get a pair for much less.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:53 PM

$55 for a dozen
Old 09-27-2004, 05:53 AM

I guess that's an important piece of information that escaped me. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 10:14 AM

Assuming that Greg signed a model release, then yes, the photograph or, more likely screen capture from this event belongs to ESPN. Using his name, however, is a different story. It would likely be seen as an endorsement of the product that they are offering and he would have legal grounds to sue.

He would likely not get too much monetarily as the damage done is likely quite small, especially given how saturated the internet is with his name. What he would likely get though is an injunction stopping the usage.

ESPN would have an even tougher time showing actual damages for the same reasons.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:31 PM

LOL.. I love this quote from the auction:

"Greg "Fossilman" Raymer has just won the 2004 World Series of Poker and a 5 million dollar first place prize. With his Hologram Lizard Eye Glasses ."

I guess it didn't have anything to do with poker skills or luck... Just the glasses.. Wow, so I can win too as long as I have those glasses! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]