Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Update

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, think forward about 3 years. He's 12, beating the $54s for about $5000 a month... How much time would spend working on homework if you could've made $50/hr playing poker when you were 12?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

Your wife displays the fear of most laypeople. Perhaps there is a shading there of how she feels about your own poker playing.

Personally I see no fault in your son playing but I would see it as a challenge to you to prove to both your wife and perhaps yourself too that there can be a greater good in and through poker(or in fact any other activity you chose. If your son was a chess or piano playing prodigy you would be in the same position{actually probably worse in real terms}but at least you'd have the approval of the masses).

This is an excellent opportunity for you to teach your son about a lot of the basic tenets of life. "Winning" "losing" "maintaining ones equipoise(especially with respect to money)" and the fact that there is more to life than money. This is a great challenge for you and your son and I wish you both the best.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He put $100 of his own money in the account and
although I don't have the exact stats his account now has around $1100 in it.
[..]
He has a very
good intuitive feel for the game. He understands the value
of starting hands.
[...]
What
does everyone think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like time to move up! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Seriously though make sure he doesn't miss out with the rest and becomes a greedy geek (at best) or a addicted gambler. as far as poker has proved for many people to be a career or a lucrative hobby, remember that the mast majority loses and a lot of people ruin their life with this. At 9 yers old his reality and perception of money could be destroyed by poker.

The game itself is not bad for him IMO but just having a lot of cash and seeing gambling as an innocent act might be a burden for him in the future. Also your wife has to come to terms with it otherwise it is definitly -EV (assuming you like your wife and kid!)

Just my two cents, I don't have a kid so I don't know what I am speaking about!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your wife displays the fear of most laypeople. Perhaps there is a shading there of how she feels about your own poker playing.

Personally I see no fault in your son playing but I would see it as a challenge to you to prove to both your wife and perhaps yourself too that there can be a greater good in and through poker(or in fact any other activity you chose. If your son was a chess or piano playing prodigy you would be in the same position{actually probably worse in real terms}but at least you'd have the approval of the masses).

This is an excellent opportunity for you to teach your son about a lot of the basic tenets of life. "Winning" "losing" "maintaining ones equipoise(especially with respect to money)" and the fact that there is more to life than money. This is a great challenge for you and your son and I wish you both the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. I know I certainly didn't mature in terms of patience and respect until I really got deep into the game at the age of 20.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, think forward about 3 years. He's 12, beating the $11s for about $1500 a month... How much time would spend working on homework if you could've made $20/hr playing poker when you were 12?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd spend whatever time my parents made me do homework, same as any other kid. It really doesnt matter if a kid is playing poker, playing video games or talking on the phone. You gotta MAKE them do homework and chores.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on! My last paycheck bounced...my children need wine!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody else get this Simpsons allusion?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, think forward about 3 years. He's 12, beating the $54s for about $5000 a month... How much time would spend working on homework if you could've made $50/hr playing poker when you were 12?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Err.. if you're playing SNG's for three years as a winning player, shouldn't you be easily beating the $215's or higher? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 09:30 AM

Set him up with a 2+2 account and let the little man post!

I suggest PrePubeProd for a SN [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-o and you should have your parenting liscense revoked...at least keep him at the play money tables. Have you seen the college dropout rate of the big winners on this forum? Its obscene. I'd be willing to make a stiff wager that people with serious drug and alcohol problems have a better shot of finishing college than do winning poker player.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Set him up with a 2+2 account and let the little man post!
I suggest PrePubeProd for a SN [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-o and you should have your parenting liscense revoked...at least keep him at the play money tables. Have you seen the college dropout rate of the big winners on this forum? Its obscene. I'd be willing to make a stiff wager that people with serious drug and alcohol problems have a better shot of finishing college than do winning poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

People with serious drug/alcohol problems can get help & maybe recover; winning 20-year olds can only go broke [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 11:56 AM

People give their kids a small amount of real money to invest in the stock market in order to teach them about investing all the time and nobody bats an eye...