Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Harrington on Holdem Vol 1

I have to agree here there is no other book that provides problems in a such a wholistic way. Most books just say give you advice on how to play a particular hand as though it existed in a vacuum. These books paid for themselves in the first week.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These books paid for themselves in the first week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am beginning to think that we should not promote these books with so much...say...bravado [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The book sucks--don't even bother reading it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 11:12 AM

yeah, i loved HonH 1 and 2.... very easy reading and really drives home certain points like importance of position.

another thing i loved about the book is the realistic attitude (and from a great player). a couple of examples.

harrington often makes a general comment that in small tournaments you don't have time to worry that someone else has a better hand than your good hand i.e. can't stress over possibility of a set of 5's beating your pair of aces with king kicker. just not enough time to lay down stuff like that.

often he stops and does a detailed math calculation and a read on the player and goes ahead and is wrong. he drives home that you don't always have to be right. you have to be right alot to win but you shouldn't be scared to go in when the %'s support it, and if you lose when you thought your odds of winning were 60% so be it.

one thing i wasn't sure about is this: would harrington do a 55% winning % (assume cards are known) play early in a big, important tournament??? my sense is he would as he seems to think positive EV is the dominant reasoning. in contrast to alot of articles i read where they say the benefit of doubling does not equal the loss of crashing out early.

anyhow, all over the place with my comments, but a very good book. heads-up section is absolutely fantastic, although i thought the general shorthanded section was somewhat lacking (i think you need more idea of what cards you can mathematically - i.e. card charts, my fish tendancies showing thru).
Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am beginning to think that we should not promote these books with so much...say...bravado

[/ QUOTE ]
Too late.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:15 PM

i think he's just using it here to mean first in "intimidation". and that "intimidation" is the "edge" you talk about. Of course when nobody is in the pot and you go in first raising, there is a certain intimidation factor.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:32 PM

agreed, HOH 1 and 2 are by far the best material on
No-limit hold'em avlaible.