Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Turn Semi-Bluff. Standard? (stars .5/1)

No super reads on villian, but he is on multiple tables with me and we played some last night too. All I've got is that he seems like he might play just a little too many hands and is not overly aggressive.

If he's paying attention I have been pretty squeaky tight tonight due to a pretty mediocre run of cards but have always been betting/raising when I am in a pot. Not too many showdowns though.

Curious what you would put him on with this action and whether you think this is standard on the turn.

If you think this is too loose PF holla as well. I've had success limping lots of crap (that has some nut potential) on the button recently but don't want to get carried away.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($104)
BB ($104.10)
UTG ($70.35)
MP ($19)
CO ($35.45)
Hero ($92.45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.75</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $4.75, MP folds.

Turn: ($14.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $43.8</font>
Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Turn Semi-Bluff. Standard? (stars .5/1)

Although it is always tempting to raise someone who has played the previous street passively and then bet out when first to act and a non-drawing card got there, you usually are going to be giving to much action to a hand that beats you that either waited to see that a draw didn't get there on the turn, or just made 2 pair. Even if he is the type to then bet a draw only like that, calling is the best option that allows you to make a hand that hasn't hit yet and get paid if it does, and not just stack the nuts. Plus it preserves your power of position for the river.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:31 PM

your draw is great for a semi-bluff... N flush+ two pair + gutshot n str8 draw... but, given the action, i think you get very little fold equity here, so a flat call is probably best. Also, consider that he may also be semi-bluffing, and probably has a better hand at the moment, may have yer draws matched, too; you could be drawing for half the pot, and he may hold some of yer outs...

so it's a call, imo.

as for reads, i'd guess he had two of the following: A: a better two pair than you (KQ), B: a K flush draw, C: a broadway and/or wheel draw

also, as usual, bluffthis is right on, imo.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:11 AM

I think he has KQ with two spades, and he's not folding that, so there is no point in sticking alot of money in the pot when you are behind. Just call and fold if you miss. He's offering you a bargain to see the river, I'd take it.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, consider that he may also be semi-bluffing, and probably has a better hand at the moment, may have yer draws matched, too; you could be drawing for half the pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, with the nut flush draw, but I probably call here. It's a very confusing bet. Probably he had some kind of silly draw and hit QQ or KQ and won't let go of it now but might pay you off on the river.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:38 AM

I think I'd flat call his $10 bet since your raise has very little fold equity. Also fold this hand pre-flop, playing bad hands in omaha leads to some pretty tuff decisions.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:34 PM

Nice replies so far.

Seems everyone wants to call so far. Are you guys counting the 2's and 4's as outs? Do you expect to make any money on the river with a flush card?

I guess everyone is folding to a blank on the river if bet into or checking behind hopting the 2-pair is good. What's everyone's plan if I make a small boat and it get's checked? Same situation and villian bets 1/2 - full pot?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Results:

Alright I guess this thread is dead so here are the results.

Villian folded to my raise after some time. Not sure whether it was just one of those at the table feel things, but it seems I was more confident I could get a fold then most of you. I also put two-pair as one of his likely holdings. Could be I was wrong and got lucky, but I guess I'll never know. If he does pay attention then he will see that if it's checked to me on the button I am not afraid to try and pick up the pot from time to time, so it is possible he had even less then two-pair and that is why he folded.

I thought part of my hand (the flush draw) would be pretty transparent as well if I called this bet so I was also unsure if I would get paid on the river if it hit. If he had the K flush draw I guess probably otherwise not so sure. Probably have enough outs to make up the necessary implied odds anyway so if I didn't decide to raise I would have definetly called.