Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-16-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Pwning from the Blinds (too much or just about right?)

Stars $20+2, 180 Players.

Still far from the money. Villain is a loose donkey.

Compliments of PokerGeek
PokerStars NL Hold'em Tournament - 100/200 Blinds (9 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 1: MP1 (T1836)
Seat 2: MP2 (T15049)
Seat 3: LP (T6980)
Seat 4: CO (T4575)
Seat 5: Button (T7477)
Seat 6: Small blind (Hero) (T3575)
Seat 7: Big blind (T6488)
Seat 8: UTG (T11933)

Preflop: Hero is Small blind with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls (200), <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls (200), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero raises (1400), Big blind folds, MP1 folds, CO calls (1200)

Flop: (T3200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero all-in (2175)
Old 12-16-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Pwning from the Blinds (too much or just about right?)

seems ridiculous to me....

i don't think i like it.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems ridiculous to me....

i don't think i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

'splain - what range of hands do you put the villain on, and is he calling?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars $20+2, 180 Players.

Still far from the money. Villain is a loose donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it, but I'd like it a lot better if not for this. A donk will call you with a K, a T at least some of the time, and probably a fair number of PP. I played a hand just like Hero played this a week ago in one of these 180s and got called down by 55 with three overs and a flush draw on the flop.

Of course, I actually had the overpair I was representing. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 12:11 AM

Meh...
the 20+2s all you really need to do is play solid to accumulate chips. I'd prefer you do this to players that aren't 'loose donkey's'

Your stack size is weird for this too, usually i wouldn't mind just sticking it in, but with 15-20xBB it feels wrong, and if your called you are going to be all-in on the flop (like what happened)

In short, i think its good that you are willing to consider a 'play' like this, but it doesn't seem to be the best spot (weird stack/donkey opponents)
Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM

As already stated by others, "loose donkeys" are per definition the least profitable type of players to try to bluff off a pot (whereas they're great to have with you when you're value betting).

"A bluff must tell a convincing story to succeed". You story suffers already from the get-go in credibility because of your PF over-raise. No way to see if the antes have set in yet, but even if they have you're raising pot + t75. Generally that's a signal of weakness.

After the flop is it very hard to see why you are pushing - there are no plausible draws - except for the possible open ended str8 draw, but A or 9 will come max 18% of the time, and you would be happy to see villian commit chips here with QJ instead of folding.

Villian is going to have a hard time imagining what the threat against him could be. PF over-raises does not signal prime pairs.

Your best hope here is probably an automatic reflex fold. So you're basically resorting solely to brute force in a situation where there should be a decent amount of play left in your stack.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)