Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Default My introduction hand - are they slowplaying trips?

Hi all,

I've been lurking in this forum for a while and I thought I would make my introduction with a recent hand. I picked this hand because I had a hard time putting my opponents on specific hands but my intuition ended up being almost correct.

I had less than 10 hands of history on BB and MP1 but both had seen almost every flop. I'm interested in what hands you put BB and MP1 on. I'll post what I was thinking during the hand when I post the results. Also, feel free to criticize my play.

Please don't flame me for posting a new topic without any post history; I promise it will be the last topic I start for awhile.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (17 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB
Old 06-15-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: My introduction hand - are they slowplaying trips?

It doesn't look to me like anyone is slowplaying. there's a preflop raise, cap on flop, bet out on turn and cap on river. If that's your def. of slow play, i wonder what you consider aggression [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I question whether calling the pre-flop raise was wise, I guess if you thought they were ultra loose than it's justifiable. You boated on the turn, so I guess it worked out. almost wonder if bb played Kx and boated also.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:42 PM

First, don't appologize for starting a topic that has content. You can however appologize if you are starting online poker is rigged posts.

As for the hand, it isnt a slowplay if they cap the flop. Given that there are 5 hands you need to worry about here and 2 of them are highly unlikely. KK, 77, K7, K2 and K5 of which KK and K5 are very unlikely. I think it is far more probable that one of these guys has AK or KQ and is overplaying it.

The flop cap is very odd. The BB bets out and MP1 raises you 3 bet then MP1 caps. Then on the turn the BB bets out and MP1 just calls all bets which I find odd since he capped the flop. I wont give them credit for having a hand that beats yours on the turn since they both go passive when they should realize that if they do have a monster they will be getting paid off on it. The fact that they suddenly come alive on the river is odd as well maybe K2 or 22 for someone here?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I picked this hand because I had a hard time putting my opponents on specific hands but my intuition ended up being almost correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never try to put your opponent on a specific hand, but rather on a range of hands. You then analyze this range against your own holding and the percentage of the hands you beat in relation to the pot size (and also your chance to improve your own hand if you are indeed behind). This is all a very rough estimate, of course.

You postflop play throughout the hand was well done. I don't like the preflop call, though. I don't think there are enough limpers or cold colders in the hand to warrant a cold call here. Though as always a lot of this depends on the tightness of the blinds and various reads, etc.

Personally I would like at least two more limpers or cold callers in the pot before I call here. At the very least one more.

Btw, did the villian have K2?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there are enough limpers or cold colders in the hand to warrant a cold call here. Though as always a lot of this depends on the tightness of the blinds and various reads, etc.

Personally I would like at least two more limpers or cold callers in the pot before I call here. At the very least one more.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to jack this thread, but could you expand on this. Is it because you want the other calls for pot odds, or are you saying he should've reraised/folded. just wanted to clarify
Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 PM

It seems like MP1 has AA and BB has Kx. From BB's action I would guess his kicker is a deuce. Otherwise, his play on the turn does not make much sense(no 3 bet).
Old 06-15-2005, 11:30 PM

havent read any post yet. given looseness of your bb put him on only two hands really ak or kg. even bad players dont usually go this nuts with nothing. guessing he got scared when second heart came up,hence the call on turn instead of reraise. play seemed ok to me
Old 06-15-2005, 11:33 PM

el cuchara

it's because of the $$ in the pot. Reraising here would not be a good play, as you're really only looking at set value with your 5's.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 PM

It is strange how BB is just calling along the whole way and then suddenly wakes up firing on the river

I put MP1 on a somewhat strong king that has kicker issues. Either that, or AA.

BB is harder to put a read on, but it looks like 77. That's one of the lines I would have taken with that. Either that, or he has a strong king.

The only critique I can offer is that you should not have cold-called preflop. 55 is a hand where you limp in loose passive games and call a raise from the BB, but never a cold call. You can raise this sometimes, but it's game dependant (weak-tight blinds, LP, etc).

I like how you played it after the flop, though.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:22 AM

gotta jam this. They might have caught there trip kings but that is just not good enough to take you. I like the line