Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 03:32 PM

Default What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

I have a nine year old son who likes to play mostly one to
three table tournaments on Stars. He'll play in $5 or $10
buyins. He's been playing for around six months. I set up
an account for him and I only let him play with my permission. He put $100 of his own money in the account and
although I don't have the exact stats his account now has around $1100 in it. He probably plays about 20 events per week. He plays mostly by himself. Occassionaly when he gets shorthanded or headsup he'll ask me for some help, but
I mostly force him to make his own decisions. He has a very
good intuitive feel for the game. He understands the value
of starting hands. He obviously doesn't know how to calculate pot odds, but knows if the pots big he can play
more hands or try to hit a draw. His main weakness is he sometimes doesn't play aggressively enough, but playing the
5's and 10's this might be a blessing.

Anyway does anyone have any experience with one of their kids playing on the net? This is also beginning to create problems between my wife and me. She thinks playing poker
for money for a nine year old is unhealthy and is afraid that he is going to become addicted to gambling? She's afraid that he will lose interest in activities that nine years old normally participate in, ie, baseball, soccor, riding a bicycle etc. although that has not happened. What
does everyone think?

Bruce
Old 11-23-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

Your wife is a wise person by the sounds of it.

And, err, he is 9 ffs!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful OP. This type of thing leads to divorce and restricted visiting rights. Believe me, I know.

If bad things go down, Boy is going to ask you someday "Dad, is it true you and Mom split cuz you let me play poker?"

Have him learn chess.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful OP. This type of thing leads to divorce and restricted visiting rights. Believe me, I know.

If bad things go down, Boy is going to ask you someday "Dad, is it true you and Mom split cuz you let me play poker?"

Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can pretty much guarntee you that if your wife files for divorce that this gambling will single handedly lose you any custody battle.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ] Because no marriages ever spilt over father's obsessions with their children's chess careers, eh? How much time do you spend around first generation E Euro or Russian immigrants famlies?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's too old to start and be any good.

Yugoslav
Old 11-23-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ] Because no marriages ever spilt over father's obsessions with their children's chess careers, eh? How much time do you spend around first generation E Euro or Russian immigrants famlies?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP lives in the US I suspect. Courts are in US I suspect. Poker is illegal in US I know. OP - dowutchalike. I don't know dick about your family life and am absolutely unqualified to comment on it. I just have first hand knowledge of a marriage breaking up and to some extent the father's lack of discouraging his <10 year old son's poker career had an impact on the outcome. If somebody had warned the father, things might have worked out differently to a degree.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:04 PM

I don't think the tension is because of the father's drive to make his son into a world class player, but that the wife doesn't like that he plays in the first place.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your wife is a wise person by the sounds of it

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you know the answer to this, but you're looking for someone else to be the goat so you can say "son, I'd like to let you keep playing poker, but some others do not think it's good for you...".

Children should not be participating in poker and parents should act like parents--quit trying to be you child's best friend and learn to say "NO" occasionally. A child needs to be a child, do not rush him into adulthood so early. A 9 year-old should be running in the woods, hunting, fishing, building tree houses, playing football in the yard, etc.

In taking on the responsibilities of becoming a parent, you have to guide your child with a solid foundation of rules of society and hope that when he is turned loose into this f'd up world, they learn to make proper decisions on their own based upon what you as his parent have taught him.

Sounds like you are teaching him to make poor decisions from an early age--where can he go from here?