Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ask or sneak out?
Be a good chap: get the boss's blessing 12 37.50%
Grow a pair: it's fuggada time! 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Arming Yourself

I've always considered myself anti-gun. My assumption has always been that the utility of having a gun in my home is outweighed by the likelihood that a criminal steals my gun and shoots me or someone else with it, or a child gets their hands on it, or something else bad happens.

But, someday the Big One's going to hit SoCal, and when the roving bands of raping looters show up at my doorstep and there are no police to call or ways to call them, I'm pretty sure I'm going to wish I had an arsenal.

I realize this could/will quickly turn into a thread that belongs in politics, but most of the NO threads should probably go there as well.

For people who answer Yes, I'd love to know if you have children and what steps you take to keep the unthinkable from happening.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Arming Yourself

I shot my kids.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:31 AM

I don't own one but I'd like to. I'll almost certainly buy one when I'm out of school and can afford a decent weapon, target shooting/safety lessons, etc.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM

I've owned a shotgun and a pistol for years but haven't really bought ammo or shot them for the last 10 years.

I will be buying some more ammo and a rifle after this. It's less the roving band of looters and more the inability of the government to react.

I could really give a crap if someone takes my water-logged TV but getting my family out alive is what I'm most worried about.

I'm feel like I'm turning into a godam John Birch-society nut.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM

I have a handgun. I don't have children. I keep the gun locked up in a safe, where it's accessible to me within ten seconds from bed. When I have children I imagine I'll continue locking it up when not using it. Once the children are old enough I'll do a thorough job of teaching them about guns and gun safety. My personal opinion is that if given boundaries and taught early on that guns are NEVER to be considered toys, children will respect these boundaries and know what's up.

Swede
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 AM

No guns for me. I lived in Harlem a few years and some other not so hot areas in NYC back in the day. Never needed one.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 AM

I cant have a gun because I live in the people's republic of DC - but my family had a gun when I was growing up - to keep children safe all you have to do is not be an idiot and watch your kids. Trigger locks are good as are putting the guns where the kids can't find them. When your children are old enough to understand, teach them about guns and gun saftey. Basically it all comes down to being a responsible parent.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 AM

You are thinking correctly. The one time the BIG One hits, you will be happy you took the precaution. It will be too late to go out and buy a gun. Of course, you could always loot the local Wal-Mart.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Obviously teaching kids gun safety and respect is important, but aside from that there's things you can do to keep them out of anyone's hands but your own. If you do a little research you can find gun safes that you can open in under 3 seconds, filling the dual roles of restricting access and granting quick access.