Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: who else on 2+2 trades professionally?

I just queried sniper and got no response, your an op in newstraders(news something), i'll pm you again midday during the lull.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 AM

I op in #newsroom, #ticktraders and #lavapit... pop in and say hi
Old 09-27-2005, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I can imagine. Not only are you coming from a more complex product which requires a solid grasp of option pricing theory, but you are also on the floor making markets. Completely different worlds.

Can you describe for us a typical day working on the floor for Susq as an options mm? This could give 2+2ers a better idea of how different trading jobs can be. Which exchange are you at, SF, Chitown, Philly?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I can imagine. Not only are you coming from a more complex product which requires a solid grasp of option pricing theory, but you are also on the floor making markets. Completely different worlds.

Can you describe for us a typical day working on the floor for Susq as an options mm? This could give 2+2ers a better idea of how different trading jobs can be. Which exchange are you at, SF, Chitown, Philly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually on the Amex. I may describe a typical day in a later post.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:05 PM

I would be interested in hearing about a normal day as well.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find trading much more enjoyable and rewarding than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, me too! I have been trading for about 18 years now. I am maybe the most diverse trader imaginable. I started out as an options market maker in 30yr bond futures at the CBOT. I have since traded many pits at both CBOT and CME. I moved off the floors about 9 years ago and have traded many different contracts and arbitrage opportunities. Over the years I have traded virtually every commodity and commodity option there are in both the Chicago and NY futures exchanges. Currently I am managing an in house stock/stock options portfolio as well as trading some speculative and arbitrage accounts. Today for example I traded some stocks, stock options, midcap 400, russell 2000, s&p's, 30yr, 10 yr, 5 yr, eurodollars, swiss franc, eurocurrency, candian dollars, and natural gas. Most guys trade one or two things and I trade everything! My desk is a mass of monitors and I often have several trades and position running concurrently. For some reason I find this easier than 4 tabling low limit poker?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM

woah
Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Jack of all trades, master of none? I mean, more power to you if you can excel at all of those different products, but wouldn't you be better served specializing in one product, just like a poker player might be better served focusing on limit hold'em exclusively or O8 exclusively, rather than knowing all the games at a basic level?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, more power to you if you can excel at all of those different products, but wouldn't you be better served specializing in one product, just like a poker player might be better served focusing on limit hold'em exclusively or O8 exclusively, rather than knowing all the games at a basic level?

[/ QUOTE ]

By being knowledgable across several different products, he's better able to take advantage of opportunities in any market. Kind of like having accounts at all the major poker rooms so you can increase your odds of finding a great table!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 AM

I should explain. I am primarily a spreader. Most of my trading invovles buying one contract while selling another. So for example I trade 30yr vs 10yr, 5yr vs euro$, midcap vs russell, swiss vs euro etc. So I watch the spreads and when I feel they get out of line I jump in. Some days certain spreads offer no opportunity while others do. By looking at a variety of different spread trades there are typically one or two of them that are setting up well for that day and that is where I concentrate. I also like to jump on "hot" markets like the current situation in natural gas.