Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Maybe Nagin did learn something

Washington Times:

NEW ORLEANS -- The mayor yesterday suspended residents' re-entry into the city and ordered nearly everyone out, fearing a new round of flooding from an incoming tropical storm, just as about 90 percent of floodwaters had been pumped out.

"If we are off, I'd rather err on the side of conservatism to make sure we have everyone out," said Mayor C. Ray Nagin, who was implementing a plan to open large parts of city, including the French Quarter, over the objections of federal officials.

President Bush and other top federal officials yesterday said New Orleans was not safe to reopen, warning that, among other things, Tropical Storm Rita could breach the city's temporarily patched-up levees and swamp the city all over again.

At least he's not sitting around waiting for Rita to kick New Orleans in the teeth like he did Katrina.

It was the smart decision, Mr. Mayor, now stick with it and follow the plan this time!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Maybe Nagin did learn something

I just caught a part of an interview on Fox News about this. It sounded like he wanted N.O. residents to return but the feds warned against it. He said something like Bush is a good man, but I'm the mayor. If that's his attitude then if more people are hurt from Rita, he needs to get the media's full ire. What are the odds of this happening though...?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Maybe Nagin did learn something

You do understand that Nagin was a lifelong Republican until he joined the Democratic Party so that he could run for Mayor? He supported Bush in 2000 (contributed $$, nothing to Gore). So I hope you aren't under the misimpression that informed liberals somehow think that Nagin did a great job while Bush let the house fall in. Bush was a disaster in preparing and responding to Katrina; likewise Nagin was a disaster in preparing and responding to it.