Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:23 AM

Default So Far my favorite bit about Sean Penn

From AFP:

Efforts by Hollywood actor Sean Penn to aid New Orleans victims stranded by Hurricane Katrina foundered badly, when the boat he was piloting to launch a rescue attempt sprang a leak.

Penn had planned to rescue children waylaid by Katrina's flood waters, but apparently forgot to plug a hole in the bottom of the vessel, which began taking water within seconds of its launch.

The actor, known for his political activism, was seen wearing what appeared to be a white flak jacket and frantically bailing water out of the sinking vessel with a red plastic cup.

When the boat's motor failed to start, those aboard were forced to use paddles to propel themselves down the flooded New Orleans street.

Asked what he had hoped to achieve in the waterlogged city, the actor replied: "Whatever I can do to help."

With the boat loaded with members of Penn's entourage, including a personal photographer, one bystander taunted the actor: "How are you going to get any people in that thing?"

BTW this really happened
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: So Far my favorite bit about Sean Penn

That is pretty funny, but:

1) At least he was in the thick of things, trying to help. That's even more admirable than any donation. His boat was there before Anne Coulter's and Sean Hannity's. Of course, bringing an entourage makes him look pretty selfish and stupid about it all. Celebrities...

2) It still doesn't explain why you had to make an inflammatory post implying that those nutty environmentalists were going to do all they could to make katrina's victims suffer more, when there has been nary a mention of that at all in any medium.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) At least he was in the thick of things, getting in the way trying to get his face on the news. That's cheaper than making a donation. His boat was there before Anne Coulter's and Sean Hannity's who have the sense to stay out of the way of the professionals. Of course, bringing an entourage makes him look pretty selfish and stupid like the pompus ass that he is Celebrities...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[ QUOTE ]
It still doesn't explain why you had to make an inflammatory post implying that those nutty environmentalists were going to do all they could to make katrina's victims suffer more, when there has been nary a mention of that at all in any medium.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just ahead of the curve [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

After Katrina: The toxic timebomb

Water Pollution a Concern in New Orleans
Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Your opinion of Sean Penn means nothing to me. I said the dude was stupid and selfish. I think that there are other issues more important than what he did or didn't do and what his intentions were.

I read both the articles you posted. Are you denying that there will be far-reaching environmental impacts of this flood? Because that's all those articles are saying. Neither of them even SUGGESTED NOT pumping out the city as a solution.

[ QUOTE ]
Toxicologists and public health experts warned yesterday that pumping billions of gallons of contaminated water from the streets of New Orleans back into the Gulf of Mexico - the only viable option if the city is ever to return to even a semblance of its former self -would have a crippling effect on marine and animal life, compromise the wetlands that form the first line of resistance to future hurricanes, and carry deleterious consequences for human health throughout the region.

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote comes the closest, and all it says is things that are all true! Should that just not be reported? If people fall ill years down the road as a result of this toxic soup, is it the environmentalists' fault? Or is it the fault of the pollutants flooded over the region?

I'm not ragging on industry. I'm just pointing out that this is the risk we run.

Your post contributed nothing in the way of new information, instead confusing a legitimate issue with one that will probably never happen. You know what, if there is a SERIOUS challenge to pumping out the city, I'm going to think it's stupid, even though I understand the argument behind it. Jerking with the ecosystem isn't going to help more people survive.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just looking to attack people that think different from me, even if it involves twisting facts and misleading people, while ignoring the actual issue I am introducing to the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your opinion of Sean Penn means nothing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems too, you keep attacking me for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you denying that there will be far-reaching environmental impacts of this flood? Because that's all those articles are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I never said that, I posted that fictional bit as an extreme notion of what could happen. Call it a black humor crystal ball.

[ QUOTE ]
Your post contributed nothing in the way of new information

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't intended to it <font color="red">was sarcastic humor</font>

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just looking to attack people that think different from me

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you're the one doing the attacking.

Lighten up, Francis
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your opinion of Sean Penn means nothing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems too, you keep attacking me for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed with you that his misguided attempt to "help" was selfish and stupid. Our differences are that I admire the fact that he actually WENT to NO, but I agree that his intentions are open to question. You're right though, I "keep attacking." In fact, in this paragraph where I use words like "agree" and "misguided" in referring to Sean Penn, I keep attacking your opinion of him.

[ QUOTE ]
No, I never said that, I posted that fictional bit as an extreme notion of what could happen. Call it a black humor crystal ball.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't intended to it was sarcastic humor

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply responded to your extreme sarcastic notion of humor by trying to debate you on the facts, with a side question about why people feel so threatened by environmentalists. Then you posted articles (I assumed) to back up your point, so I read them and responded to you based on the content of those related to the content of your OP. It appears that now you've realized that your post has no legs of its own to stand on, save the fact that it stated the obvious (the environment in the region hit by HK will be affected negatively for an extended period of time) so now you wish to check out by telling me to lighten up and stop attacking.

I don't feel like i've been mean or attacking you. You're the one who felt the need to make up a fictional situation to stir up the board, and now that the board is stirred, you can't take the heat. The only recourse you have now is to make me look like a terrible person. So lets run down what happened:

1) You posted a low content post, smearing public figures and groups you don't like.

2) I responded, asking why you have such a problem with environmentalists, attacking the content of your post (the existence of such a lawsuit, what you believe certain people donated to the HK cause), and saying that if there was such a lawsuit, I would be against it.

3) You posted the article about Penn's collosal failure trying to rescue people in response to one of my points. You ignored everything else I asked about.

4) I agreed that he was a moron, tried to shed a little bit of positive light on what he might have been in a perfect world trying to do. I pointed out that you dont' see conservative loudmouths in boats. That was a bit off-topic, but not any more off topic than your OP. Then i asked you again to back up your OP.

5) You "fixed my post" about Penn. Fine, we disagree on the scope of his idiocy. You posted two articles that i assumed would back up your point - that environmentalists were suggesting not to pump the water out of the city of NO. In fact, one is only a report of the effects that will follow the removal of the water from the city, and the other is a report on people dying from potentally waterborne diseases.

6) I used content that YOU provided to evaluate your point. I "fixed your post" about how much smarter you are than everyone. By the way, have you not used the forum to attack people who think different than you by twisting facts, and misled people? Have you also ignored the issue raised (the environment)? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

7) After my repeated attempts to debate you on the issues, you simply resorted to the victim defense. It seems obvious you know that your OP has no merit and no argument. From now on try not to violate all this:

[ QUOTE ]
2) Try not to put words into the mouths of others or misquote them or misrepresent their positions. If you are unsure, it may be best to quote them exactly including any relevant context.

3) Don't merely troll or flame.

4) Content-rich posting is good, and provides much for discussion. It also helps you make your points far more effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I will leave you alone.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:22 PM

Dead, is that you?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Wow. I'm not someone with a vendetta against you using an alternate screen name. I don't have anything against you other than your cowardice in the face of challenge. You're not interested in a discussion of your OP. Anyone who wants that is mean and a bad man. Go tell your mom. In the real world we all have to face challenges. Get used to it.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM

You really need to lighten up.

No, I'm not interested in having a debate about the "facts" of a fictional humor bit, yet you keep trying to goad me into some kind of confrontation. Sorry, not going to happen.

You may now have the last word.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:25 PM

September ??, 2005

Today in an unprecedented turn of events, President George W. Bush was impeached on charges of lying to Congress. The ruling was the result of statements in several States of the Union where Bush promised to “keep America safe”. “It’s not fair to hold people responsible for their words!” says Slam D. Unkpro, spokesman for the defendant. “This president cannot be goaded by legitimate criticism. He then added, for some reason, “George W. Bush hates the environmentalists!” A quote, which was immediately flashed over the wire services and headlined by The New York Times. (Note: the preceding was not a sentence.)

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Michelle Malkin have canceled their plans to attend a conference about how Bill Clinton’s adultery caused every problem in the country since 1974 to pledge 5 million dollars each to support the president’s defense. Bernard Goldberg’s upcoming book Just Impeachy: A CBS Insider Exposes How People Take The President’s Words Too Seriously And Expect Him To At Least Look Like He Cares When A Disaster Happens.

“What do you want from me?” said Bush. “I’m trying to concentrate on the impending threat in Upper Uzbekistan!” “I can’t pass up this opportunity to start another war instead of addressing problems at home” he commented (for some reason, in a second quote) as he flew off on Air Force One to survey the devastation on the gulf coast “from a safe distance”.

Think it can’t happen?? Let’s wait and watch! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That was kinda fun.