Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is tougher?
10,000 or more hands of breakeven poker 45 44.55%
Vicious downswing up to 100 BB in 300 hands or less 56 55.45%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Default English as the US official language?

Should we borrow a page from the Canadian playbook and declare English our official language?

This would mean:

A: Anyone applying for naturalization or permanent residence (green card) must be proficient in both written and spoken English
B: All signs and advertisements must be in English and be the first and largest lettering.
C: All Government sponsored education must be in English

I know, the Canadians have French too because of Quebec’s political power , but that’s not the question.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: English as the US official language?

This is an issue I lean to the right on. I don't completely agree with your c, though - for example, I think we need to keep ESL (English as a Second Language) and in some cases BiLingual education in place in our public schools. But the emphasis should be on moving students to an all English education as soon as possible.

-ptmusic
Old 08-03-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to keep ESL (English as a Second Language) and in some cases BiLingual education in place in our public schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If anyone applying for naturalization or permanent residence (green card) must be proficient in both written and spoken English, why would we need bi-lingual education?

I can see English as a second language for Diplomat’s kids and visiting Military kids but that’s a very small group.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:37 PM

While I find value in the populace knowing many languages (the lack of this in the US is a detriment) it is clear that the cultural destabilization of huge chuncks of the population being unable to communicate with eachother is causing damage to our society.

However, we will never make english our official language because of the PC crowd.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I find value in the populace knowing many languages (the lack of this in the US is a detriment) it is clear that the cultural destabilization of huge chuncks of the population being unable to communicate with eachother is causing damage to our society.

However, we will never make english our official language because of the PC crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's something that should have been done a long time ago, but the ship has sailed.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:56 PM

Hi

I like the idea of you US guys adopting English as your first language, my only concern is you all learn how to use it properly before you formally adopt it. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Mack
Old 08-03-2005, 07:05 PM

Should Native Americans be forced to learn English? How about Hawaiins? Who does it hurt to have state-sponsored education in the Hawaiin language in Hawaii?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:20 PM

"Anyone applying for naturalization or permanent residence (green card) must be proficient in both written and spoken English"

-I'd be in favor of this if it applied to all citizen, not just those applying for naturalization or residence. It would probably cut the population by about two-thirds.

"All signs and advertisements must be in English and be the first and largest lettering."

-Wouldn't this be judged a violation of free speech?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't this be judged a violation of free speech?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm amazed so many people jumped on the bandwagon of limiting freedoms without a good reason.

What benefit would these restrictive laws have? Considering how desperately dependent our economy is on immigration, how can anyone say the benefits outweigh the costs?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:46 PM

For the same reason it hurts that the Spanish kids at my mom's school can't speak English. They can't get into college, they can't get ahead, and they can't interact with anyone outside the community.