Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 03:36 PM

Default London bombers – Suicides or victims?

Were the recent London bombers duped? There are some strange anomalies if they were intent on suicide.

1. Three of the bombs went off almost simultaneously; the authorities found physical remains of timers - since when do suicide terrorists need timers?

2. The bombers were carrying around their personal identity documents.

3. No video, audio recording or note about what an honor it is for them to be a heroic martyr.

Were these kids conned, like the Saudi kid who was trained in Syria and then smuggled into Iraq. They told him that he was just a courier. All he had to do was drive a truck in front of the Jordanian embassy, park it, and walk away. They would do the rest. So he starts driving across town, then BOOM: Except he was blown through the windshield, and miraculously survived, and ended up on Iraqi TV warning the world not to trust the guys who recruited him.

Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: London bombers – Suicides or victims?

Conned probably. Shame, they deserved to die in a far more painful manner.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm sorry ... there's just something ugly about calling these people "victims", even if they were duped.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:48 PM

This sure would change the whole dynamic of the "why do they hate us" arguments.

If people AREN'T really willing to die for the cause and they have to trick the bombers, then that pretty much means we're winning, doesn't it?

It also makes the terrorists both that much more cowardly and that much more wrong on every level.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:04 PM

Wow, anomalies in a terrorist plot? Who’d of thunk it?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If people AREN'T really willing to die for the cause and they have to trick the bombers, then that pretty much means we're winning, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite a jump in logic. We might be winning, but it's not because they are tricking bombers. That might a brilliant move by them to increase their lead in the war. I'm not saying who is winning, I'm just saying that a new tactic doesn't mean one side is winning.

-ptmusic
Old 07-18-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If people AREN'T really willing to die for the cause and they have to trick the bombers, then that pretty much means we're winning, doesn't it

[/ QUOTE ]

Because off course to a terrorist this move is the height of desperation.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Suicides or Homicides?

I suppose that if I went on the street and solicited people to carry a backpack from point A to point B for $X, I'd find plenty of takers. Most would simply think it was drugs -- and if I encouraged them to believe that by raising the $$, it could happen. We should start the PSA's now!

But would that account for them all being muslims? Because the people who were recruiting, the "real" perpetrators, were .... what? Non-domestic muslims?

Either way -- If you sleep with dogs, ...
Old 07-19-2005, 08:46 AM

The car they used to get to the train station also had explosives in as well, they travelled 80ish miles to london together then split up, the bus bomber was very aggitated on the bus just before it blew. I really dont think they were conned into doing the act.

I dont understand why they did suicide this time though, it would have brought more terror if they had done a campaign rather than just the one and it would have been easy to get on the tube espicially at that time of day and leave the bag behind and get off a few minutes before the bomb was due to go off.

Maybe the coordinator screwed the timersz so they were killed as well but I have no doubt at all that they knew they were planting bombs so there is no way they are victims in this.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The car they used to get to the train station also had explosives in as well, they travelled 80ish miles to london together then split up, the bus bomber was very aggitated on the bus just before it blew.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually goes to support the “conned” theory. They had more explosives in the car, so they were planning on setting more bombs possibly?

Witnesses said the bus bomber was franticly digging through his backpack just before the explosion. Was he surprised that the other bombs went off prematurely? Was he desperately trying to turn his off realizing that he’d been duped?

[ QUOTE ]
I dont understand why they did suicide this time though, it would have brought more terror if they had done a campaign rather than just the one and it would have been easy to get on the tube espicially at that time of day and leave the bag behind and get off a few minutes before the bomb was due to go off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, with a timer why kill yourself? Live to bomb another day.

[ QUOTE ]
.... but I have no doubt at all that they knew they were planting bombs so there is no way they are victims in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m using the word “victim” only to differentiate that these clowns were killed when they did not expect to die. Overall they knew what they were doing and they got their just desserts – if only the bombs had gone off in the car so they were the only ones killed.