Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Run Dick Run - the 2008 question

[ QUOTE ]
...Frist is, as far as I know, retiring in 06. I suspect he wants to run for President. Personally (as a Dem) I hope he gets the nomination, since he has one HELL of a record to attack and will probably get creamed in a general election. Examples: he was one of those "I will only serve one term" 1994 Contract with America guys, his unpopular actions re: Shiavo, today's abrupt reversal re: Bolton's floor vote, and just being a Senator. Senators usually don't do well in general elections, while governors do very well (more of a legislative record to attack).

Again, cool thread. Even BGC chimed in with some objectivity. Nice!

Oh, and I love Al Sharpton, but he won't be taken that seriously.

Other notes... Watch out for Bobby Jindhal. He is the Republican's Barak Obama -- young, super smart, a minority, and VERY charismatic. He came within an eyelash of winning the Governorship of Louisiana. I only wish he was a Democrat. (He is the guy that came up with the purple finger idea at the State of the Union -- good idea!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in TN, and keep up with statewide politics. Frist is definitely retiring in '06. And for the record, he never said he would only serve 1 term, he said that he would only serve 2 terms which is what he will do.

He will run for President. He isn't at the top of my list, but I could vote for him.

I think Pataki is a good darkhorse candidate right now.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And for the record, he never said he would only serve 1 term, he said that he would only serve 2 terms which is what he will do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I looked into this, and you are 100% correct. I stand corrected. I have imperfect memory recall... I must have gotten Frist mixed up with someone else.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:11 PM

I think it'll be
DEMS:
Clinton/Clark
GOP: This one is tougher but I'm going with...
Allen/rice
I guess I agree with the original poster on everybody except that I think that when Clinton wins the primaries she will pick Wesley Clark for VP because everybody knows that he and the Clintons are very friendly and having a bonafied general on the ticket will be good for squashing talk of Hillary being weak on defense.

A few that will definetly not make it are:
-Cheny: Said he won't run and I believe him
-Dean: ditto
-McCain: doesn't have a chance of winning the GOP primary
-Sharpton: His chances are laughable
Old 06-24-2005, 01:21 PM

eliot spitzer
Old 06-24-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in TN, and keep up with statewide politics. Frist is definitely retiring in '06. And for the record, he never said he would only serve 1 term, he said that he would only serve 2 terms which is what he will do.

He will run for President. He isn't at the top of my list, but I could vote for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not doubting you, but what chance does Frist think he has if he's out of the public forum for 2 years?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not doubting you, but what chance does Frist think he has if he's out of the public forum for 2 years?

[/ QUOTE ]
Plenty. He does not have to shmooz the public, just the right Republicans in the right states (Iowa and NH). He is already starting this process.

Seriously, think about it. How many political figures outside of the public forum have gotten Presidential nominations? Bush in 2000 (versus a nationally known McCain), Clinton in 92 (vs a much better known Jerry Brown), Carter in 76 (no one outside of GA knew who he was)... none of these guys were visable to the entire country when they ran. Running for President is a targeted mission.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, think about it. How many political figures outside of the public forum have gotten Presidential nominations? Bush in 2000 (versus a nationally known McCain), Clinton in 92 (vs a much better known Jerry Brown), Carter in 76 (no one outside of GA knew who he was)... none of these guys were visable to the entire country when they ran. Running for President is a targeted mission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but how many politicians were not currently in office when they ran? Other than Nixon. I think Reagan may have been the last.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but how many politicians were not currently in office when they ran? Other than Nixon. I think Reagan may have been the last.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frist is kinda between a rock and a hard place. He pledged to serve only 2 terms if elected, and he wants to uphold that pledge. However, I agree with you that it would be easier for him to be in the day-to-day spotlight as Senate Majority Leader.