Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Extracting the Most?

PR 100+8

Table has been pretty crazy. Lots of min-raise, re-raise, re-re-Raise. CO has bet big at scare cards alot. But usually against Button who is a donk.

Seat 1: UTG ($1,645 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG+1 ($705 in chips)
Seat 3: MP ($3,150 in chips)
Seat 4: MP+1 ($1,175 in chips)
Seat 5: MP+2 ($3,995 in chips)
Seat 6: CO+1 ($2,110 in chips)
Seat 7: CO ($1,165 in chips)
Seat 8: BUTTON ($4,050 in chips)
Seat 9: SB ($1,140 in chips)
Seat 10: HERO [J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($935 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($25), HERO posts blind ($50).

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP folds, MP+1 folds, MP+2 folds, CO+1 calls $50, CO calls $50, BUTTON folds, SB folds, HERO checks.

FLOP (pot 175) [board cards 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
HERO checks, CO+1 checks, CO bets $50, HERO calls $50, CO+1 folds.

TURN (pot 275)[board cards 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
HERO checks, CO bets $100, HERO calls $100.

RIVER (pot 475) [board cards 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
HERO checks, CO checks.

<font color="white">SHOWDOWN
HERO shows [ JD,10D ]
CO mucks cards [ 9C,KD ]
HERO wins $475. </font>
Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Extracting the Most?

That river check is absolutely horrible. If he was holding any pair (likely), then that ace was a scare card for him, and he's likely to check it down. With few exceptions, never EVER check on the river expecting to be bet at... many people will take the free showdown with anything but a monster. I like the rest, though.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:41 PM

Really I played it this way because I had played an earlier flush draw that missed the exact same way.

Also, I played it a little too passive because I was trying to keep the pot small because big pots had been generating too much action and I wasn't looking to blow my shortening stack in an unraised pot.

Really, I was hoping to generate some sort of discussion about how people extract the most here against this type of slightly too aggressive, but not maniacal LAG that you often see. Pot size bet, half the pot, check-raise.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:47 PM

Saying the check is "horrible" is assuming any reversal won't drive your opponent off the hand. say he's got QJ. You don't think he folds to a 300 bet on the river? Sure, betting 100 is a value bet that he has to call with any pair, but I like the check if you think the opponent is aggressive enough to fire a bet into the pot on the river. If he's a good LAG too, he'll know that most players never check raise the river and might assume that any bet takes this pot down. I personally like the check if the read was that the villain was aggressive. It didn't work this time, but maybe neither would a bet.

What if villain has low clubs or some other missed draw?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:12 PM

Be careful with a hand like this. It looks better than it actually is. Yes, you flopped an open ended straight draw but two of your outs make a flush so you can't count them as full outs. That makes both the flop and turn calls marginal - not bad, but marginal. You probably have implied odds to make the call because of the weak bet but don't fall in love with the hand of the 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falls.

On the other hand, he's playing this very weakly and I can't believe he's got a hand he's in love with. With both a straight and flush draw he's not betting enough. I think he's on a draw as well and trying to bet a little hoping you'll just call and give him a fairly cheap call. I'd think about raising on the turn - not on the flop since you're not asking last. But I think if you push the turn he folds.

I don't think there's anyway of getting something on the river. You could lead out and bet but given the way he played the hand I think he has a missed draw. If you bet, he'll fold. If you check, maybe he bluffs at the pot.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That river check is absolutely horrible. If he was holding any pair (likely), then that ace was a scare card for him, and he's likely to check it down. With few exceptions, never EVER check on the river expecting to be bet at... many people will take the free showdown with anything but a monster. I like the rest, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looking at the results I was 1/2 right about the hand. He wasn't on a draw but did have a weak hand. In either case a bet of any significance would result in a fold. But this emphasizes my point that raising the turn by pushing should have won the hand.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 PM

You can't win in this situation when he has position on you. Him checking was the right play. If he bets the only time he gets called here is when he's beat, and that person would raise, and then he couldn't have a showdown, and he would have to fold.

I like betting a good amount here so he thinks your trying to steal, when your first to act. He might think your trying to steal the pot and call, or believe you and fold. I think you stood a better chance of getting paid with betting here.

Additional, someone mentioned he could be on the flush draw and missed on the end and metioned raising on the turn, I think that is also a good play, and I like it also because it gives you more info as to whether he's on a draw or has top pair.