Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Default KTo, Blind on blind

No read on the villain.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Seemed like a good bluffing card. I was planning to check behind on the river if I didn't improve.

River: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Thoughts? I'm particularly interested in the flop. Once I get checkraised, is it an easy call? An easy fold? Somewhere in-between? The flop is draw-heavy.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: KTo, Blind on blind

I really don't like the turn raise because:

1. Villain is unlikely to fold any pair here in a heads-up pot.

2. You will sometimes get three-bet by two pairs, sets, QJ, whatever, and you still have many live outs. (Remember: play the turn lightly with lots of outs because getting raised really really sucks).

3. Your hand simply does not have enough showdown value.

Play straightforwardly here. It's the best way to go:

Call the flop check-raise. Call the turn. Raise the river if you hit a straight and probably a K. Fold everything else except a T with the right read.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:51 PM

I'd fold to the flop c/r. Yes, it's draw-heavy, but most people either bet or check/call drawing hands, not check-raise them. Without a read, I'm going to assume he has a pair and you have about 3 outs if he has a J.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like the turn raise because:

1. Villain is unlikely to fold any pair here in a heads-up pot.

2. You will sometimes get three-bet by two pairs, sets, QJ, whatever, and you still have many live outs. (Remember: play the turn lightly with lots of outs because getting raised really really sucks).

3. Your hand simply does not have enough showdown value.

Play straightforwardly here. It's the best way to go:

Call the flop check-raise. Call the turn. Raise the river if you hit a straight and probably a K. Fold everything else except a T with the right read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started typing up a response to this hand, but didn't like what I was writing out. Anyway, this basically sums up my feelings as well, especially the part about SB not folding pairs in heads up pots. Also the flop call is good because sb is probably c/r'ing very light here so there is a fair chance that both of your pair outs are good and thus you have odds to continue.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold to the flop c/r. Yes, it's draw-heavy, but most people either bet or check/call drawing hands, not check-raise them. Without a read, I'm going to assume he has a pair and you have about 3 outs if he has a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely calling the flop check-raise like every time for metagame reasons.

I simply hate folding to one small bet in a heads-up pot. I damn well want my opponents believing they're going to have to put that big bet in on the turn if they are trying to make a move on me.

In live games it's not even close. Online maybe I can fold this but I don't want my friends finding out...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely calling the flop check-raise like every time for metagame reasons.

I simply hate folding to one small bet in a heads-up pot. I damn well want my opponents believing they're going to have to put that big bet in on the turn if they are trying to make a move on me.

In live games it's not even close. Online maybe I can fold this but I don't want my friends finding out...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I'm calling this flop but I'm not check raising the turn.

Well, not now. The me of three weeks ago would have check raised the turn, but the me since then has stopped doing that when the opponent will almost NEVER fold in this situation