Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Oh no, I hit a full house! This sucks!

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

My first thought when it got checked around is someone's slowplaying pocket aces.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

I actually let out a small groan of pain when I saw the turn card. And then I immediately started thinking of other reasons the flop may have gotten checked around other than a flopped full house.

River: (14.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

My heart sank when I got raised, but I called anyway. Is there any other way to play this hand?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Oh no, I hit a full house! This sucks!

90% of the time, this is a horribly slow played AA. I hate when this happens.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM

Perfect.

-d
Old 08-10-2005, 06:02 PM

i think you played the hand just about perfectly. the guy who slow played rockets gave you the free card to make a nice second best hand so you could pay him off.

Nothing you can do here except do just that. You're losing to exactly two hands in a large pot you paid 4 small bets to play.....no way you can fold with the second best full house with 14 BB out there.

kick a puppy because nobody makes any hand on the turn when you do that!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 PM

No reads and we're not giving CO credit for any other hand except AA!?! This is like bizzaro SS?!? And certainly not what I'd expect from a couple decent posters.

You turned a full house that also made a flush. UTG+1 isn't a factor anymore and CO capped PF knowing that he'd have position in a 5-way pot. I don't understand why you wouldn't 3-bet and call a cap (if neccessary) on the river. You missed bet(s) here.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM

I'd need a reason to believe he'd cap a KQs type hand pf before I could believe that.

-d
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd need a reason to believe he'd cap a KQs type hand pf before I could believe that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reads would really help. The type of player that will cap AA PF, flop the 2nd nuts and check behind 4 opponents is pretty rare IMO.

Possibly bet/calling the river is both a safe way to play. It's not losing us that much due to the frequency this will come up and the fact that we're HU and putting in bets at a 1:1 ratio. Personally, I'm willing to go 2 extra BBs because (A) I think we're ahead more than we're behind and (B) I don't want the CO thinking he can run over me with aggression in the future.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Noob question: why not bet the flop, expecting the CO to raise and scare everyone else out? It's already a huge pot, wouldn't getting anyone to fold at this point increase our chances of winning?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Meh. I had reads, and I forgot to put them in. I suck.

UTG+1 was loose and erratic, but he had been rather passive pre-flop before this. I had about 100 hands on CO, and he had TAGish stats, but I didn't have a sense of how he played post-flop.

After the river raise, I thought AA was much more likely for the CO than any other hand. A hand like KQ of spades makes some sense, but a) many people wouldn't cap with that after a limp reraise, and b) many would bet the flop with it if they did cap pre-flop. Not much else makes any sense at all.

Also, when I see flop checked around after it got capped pf, I immediately start thinking about slowplayed monsters.