Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Pocket Sevens on the Button = Calling Fun!

I have not looked at the results.

I think you must raise the flop. To all the people who say wait for a safe card on the turn to raise, I ask one question. What cards do you consider safe? Anything not an overcard to the 7's would put a straight on the board.

Raising the flop will give you a better idea where you stand. If you get 3 bet, you know where you stand (likely behind). As it stands now, SB betting out on the turn makes sense no matter what he had. The worse thing to do is let both players draw "for free". There is no worse feeling that watching someone hit an overcard (UTG+1) because you let them stay in the hand.

If three bet on the flop, I'd check/call (unless I've got a good read).

If not, I'm betting until raised, and then calling one bet.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 PM

I think because your hand is tenous you can do better waiting until the turn to see if that value is going to materialise for you.

What card has to come for you to see value in betting?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Results

You know better than to post results [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Regardless of this specific outcome, raising the flop is the better play in general against the type of hands you should expect to be against imo.

- Jim
Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Results

What, do we not post results anymore? It seemed like the discussion was winding down. I always like to see hand results in interesting threads. Curiousity, you know.

And yes, you and the others did convince me raising the flop was the best play. Results aside, I wasn't happy with my line, I just wasn't sure where I should have put the raise in. I don't like to misplay hands, even when it saves me money in a specific case.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think because your hand is tenous you can do better waiting until the turn to see if that value is going to materialise for you.

What card has to come for you to see value in betting?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not an ace or spade. But I thought about this hand all afternoon, and I decided that Big Endian et al are right. It is better to raise the flop. Two things convinced me: the small pot, and the huge likelihood that hero is ahead. I first considered his edge moderate, but I think it's really big and not worth passing up for the turn.