Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Call river all-in w/ TPTK? How do you decide?

Home game 6-handed, .10/.20 blinds, I have about $20, villian has me covered. Villian limps UTG, 2 more limpers to me, I make a standard raise to 1.00 from SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Villian calls, all others fold. Villian is loose pre-flop, pretty good post-flop, capable of making big bluffs and will sometimes try to pick off weakness. I have a solid TAG image, have not had to show down a bluff all night and have been involved in few hands (being dealt bad cards), but betting aggressively and taking down almost every pot I've been in.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (~2.50)
I lead for 1.50, he calls.
Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (~5.50)
I lead for 2.50, he calls.
River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (~10.50)
I check, hoping to fake that I was bluffing and get a river bet out of him. He quickly goes all-in. Do you call here?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Call river all-in w/ TPTK? How do you decide?

if you check to induce a bluff, then you must call
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM

you got a pretty good hand. I know in my home game I would call. Few things though, raise more preflop to take it down becuase AK oop always sucks, bet more on turn and bet river becuase a weak ace will generally check behind as will a 6.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you got a pretty good hand. I know in my home game I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call with worse in our home game
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that you're going to see one of two things:

1) He has AT, and he's dragging the pot (65%)
2) You successfully induced a bluff (35%)

That makes you a little better than a 2:1 dog. Pot odds are good, so if I'm you, I'm calling.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 PM

Not too sure about this....

What is the hand range of this villain to call a preflop raise?

Pot the flop... I'd probably go $4 on the turn.

That being said, the river call is pretty tough, in my opinion.

Hmm....

Does villain consider you tight? In my home game, many players will make these big moves on me knowing I'll lay down marginal hands. With AK, I'd definitely call those types of players.

If it's a more honest player, I'd probably lay it down. A big river bet after 2 calls is usually a strong hand, in my opinion. You showed strength twice, and he said OK.

The check may have enticed him to bluff, but he's -still- called twice.

Would this be considered a way-ahead, way-behind kind of hand from the turn?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Call river all-in w/ TPTK? How do you decide? RESULTS

I called, he showed A5 for the boat. I did not expect he would play that ragged of an ace, but he made some money off of it. I am confused as how to properly play against this guy -- he can make some crazy calls preflop, but then he gets paid off when he hits something like this. It's really hard to put him on a hand post-flop (Gus Hansenish?). He took another big pot off of someone when he called a preflop raise with 57 and hit it big. He plays aggressive early in the night (And usually takes the donk's money early doing so), and if he builds a big stack he will make loose calls preflop to try to stack someone and generally play very aggressive. He is good at reading situations postflop and it is hard to get him to go too far with a hand. I typically loosen my raising/reraising standards preflop against him, and sometimes I just plain raise more against him preflop, but are there some other ways I can punish this style of play?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Call river all-in w/ TPTK? How do you decide? RESULTS

I think aggressive early, tight later is the right strategy against decent home game players. Most home games seem to start out tight and then get loose - so play against the table tendency. So he's got a good strategy there.

I think playing more like a calling station, an intelligent one that thinks about what kind of play he might be on, would work against his style. Call flop and push turn or river would probably punish him as well.