Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Should I peel one off?

This is kind of a basic question, but I've always been a little uncertain in these situations.

MP2 is tight-aggressive. No read on BB.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero folds.

Okay, let's say I put MP2 on the usual AK-AQ, AA-99 range of hands. Should I peel one off here? Queen high flops are often bad news for AK.

Also, given the same range of hands for MP2, who likes a preflop cap?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Should I peel one off?

A call here wouldn't be terrible. I would give K 2 outs and A 1 or so...pretty close
Old 04-09-2005, 06:18 PM

I don't usually cap AKo out of position, but I will every so often as a change-up (and especially against a TAG who 3-bet second in--he could have virtually any PP).

You cannot fold this flop getting 9:1 immediate to call. Even if you're absolutely convinced that your A outs are reverse-dominated (I wouldn't be), you'd still probably have 3 clean outs to the K and the backdoor to the nut straight. Besides which, when you check the flop, MP2 is going to bet any hand (including another AK) after being checked to.

Play your AK hands aggressively on the flop, and only start to think about folding if you're still UI on the turn; you will be rewarded.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Call the flop because you have enough outs to peel one off.

I'd consider folding the turn UI, especially if BB is still hanging around.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:45 PM

I usually cap PF and lead this flop. If you get raised, you can call one more bet and see if you hit an A or a K. Check/fold unimproved.