Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 AM

Default silly liberals...

i am very liberal on social issiues, less so on financial ones, but generally still a democrat, a lib, a lefty... whatever.

but some extreme leftys really drive me nuts with their misplaced, uninformed, reckless, ideologically driven positions... like:

-those against hunting and sportsmen because... well.. they kill bambi. C'MON! hunters control populations, manage ecosystems, and make up the most effective and influential environmental lobby in the US. there are more deer, black bear, and wild game birds in the US now than ever before. EVER- more parkland and protected wildlife areas, too: you have sportsmen to thank for that.

-recycling nuts that forget the first two 'R's. i was at a party this weekend and got scolded for throwing a cig butt into an empty beer can. the guy explained "sorry, man, but i'm serious about recycling and that screws up the process- flush it next time, k?". sure, but... gimme a break, already. if you really gave a crap about saving the environment, you would've gotten a keg of beer instead of the thirty-odd cases of aluminum cans that are strewn all over the house now. reduce. reuse. then, if you couldn't do that, recycle.

-the people against letting the makah indians in washington state hunt wales for their religios ceromonies, their long tradition and right, according to treaty. greenpeace tried to get in the way... c'mon, now, you have GOT to have better things to do. that's really tolerant and respectful of diversity, guys.

-people that buy a 50MPG hybrid and then commute 100 miles, then look down their noses at their neighbors/my freinds that have a V8 jeep w/35" tires and 10MPG, but only drive it once a month. people that buy electric cars, plug it in and get their power from the coal plant down the road, then feel like they're doing their part.

-greenies that don't like cutting down trees. at all. we need wood. always will. grow up.

-hippys and communists at barter fairs, music festivals, and so on that think that they're rejecting the capitalist paradigm with the barter system. fools. same goes for those that think that people should just drop out and reject consumer/industrial america. *sigh*

all for now. i am a little pissed off right now at the people giving my ideology a bad name. i'll do conservatives later. did i piss any other libs off?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: silly liberals...

amen
Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 AM

Far easier to piss a (present day) conservatives.

For whatever reason Liberals are willing to take criticisms, conservatives get all defensive.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For whatever reason Liberals are willing to take criticisms, conservatives get all defensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I would say it was about even on both sides.

No longer do we have the civility to disagree on issues but see WHY the other side see things that way.

I can see and understand the liberal view on: Education, Health, Taxing the Rich, Diplomacy, Welfare, Abortion etc.

There are very few things that I do not understand the other side or plainly think is ignorant (mainly Gun Control) because I think that it is plain harmful to the citizens and the nation.

-Gryph
Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did i piss any other libs off?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. I feel no need to defend every doofus that calls himself liberal or a democrat. Nor do I feel the need to attack every conserative qua conservative.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am very liberal on social issiues, less so on financial ones,...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably more "mainstream" than you think.

I agree with every single point you cite, yet I consider myself a tad more conservative than you. Libertarians think I'm centrist. Oh well, so much for labels.

nh
Old 11-01-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I can not understand is how a group of people can claim to be so fair-minded, caring, loving, concerned, all-inclusive, progressive, etc., etc., ad nauseum, and still spew such hate-filled crap at anyone opposing their views.

No, their opposition is not lily-white. But I do not see nearly as much anger and hostility coming from the majority of conservatives.

Neither of you will ever get your agendas satisfied. Period.

Both sides have to start coming to agreements reached through compromise. Period.

If you'd both get your heads out of wherever you've got them stuck you'd realize that is truly The American Way.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I do not see nearly as much anger and hostility coming from the majority of conservatives.

[/ QUOTE ]
This depends on 1) your point of view and 2) who you look at. I'm sure many liberals/democrats would say Limbaugh/Hannity/Coulter represents the angry right (and I'd agree; they all suck). I could say that Franken/Dean/Sheehan represents the angry left (and there'd probably be some libs who'd agree). I think the vast majority on both sides are in between these two extremes.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not see nearly as much anger and hostility coming from the majority of conservatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't watch Fox News, do you.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm going to agree with most of your points. As a liberal, I feel that one of the major problems with progressive movements is that there are so many and either a few people are focusing on a single issue, or a lot of people are focused on a wide range of issues (many simply because they're "liberal causes" rather than any real ideological belief) and no one issue gets the attention that it deserves. However, a couple of issues I have with some of your complaints.

[ QUOTE ]
-the people against letting the makah indians in washington state hunt wales for their religios ceromonies, their long tradition and right, according to treaty. greenpeace tried to get in the way... c'mon, now, you have GOT to have better things to do . that's really tolerant and respectful of diversity, guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, that's kind of Greenpeace's "thing." Granted, there may be some more worthwhile fights that they could bring up, but wildlife preservation is one of their main causes. Now, I don't know the specifics of the issue you're talking about. For all I know, the makah indians could want to kill the very last of some species of whale, I don't know. Still, I don't think that if they deem it to be a worthwhile fight, that it's so ridiculous for Greenpeace to protest it. Also, would it be intolerant and disrespectful of diversity if you wanted to stop a cult from practicing human sacrifice?

[ QUOTE ]

-people that buy a 50MPG hybrid and then commute 100 miles, then look down their noses at their neighbors/my freinds that have a V8 jeep w/35" tires and 10MPG, but only drive it once a month. people that buy electric cars, plug it in and get their power from the coal plant down the road, then feel like they're doing their part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if someone's commuting 100 miles every day, wouldn't it be better for them to drive the 50MPG hybrid than the 10MPG Jeep? Granted, it's wrong of them to look down on someone because of the car they drive, but I've never known anyone who did that. Also, I don't think that there are any electric cars on the mainstream market and you don't plug in hybrid cars, so I'm not sure what your second point is alluding to.