Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Step 5, how bad?

alright i will comment on this hand...opponent is a known regular, even though i directly bought in this isnt an account i usually play on and i dont play step 5s so i look like a player without the ability to compete/scared money, also the only hand that i saw a flop with i had open raised and check/folded on a pretty ugly flop, so all things point to me being weak/tight. on to the hand...folded to me, i raise here i dont think thats too exciting i guess some people fold but i dont, the BB regular is gonna call me with a very wide range of hands here to outplay me, the flop comes very drawy and with my image and board i will get played back at alot, also if a diamond comes on the turn its near impossible for villian to put me on the hand i have so i check, villian bets when the turn comes king i think he is gonna bet here a large portion of the time, i still have a nut flush draw and my ace is usually good so i call sometimes i might raise here to be able to steal on a blank river but that makes it easier to commit villian with a marginal hand because pot gets real big and i dont want to do that, river is an offsuit queen he checks to me i dont think he thinks its possible for me to check the flop and call the turn with intentions of trying to win the pot on the river with my image if he does have a marginal hand with a pretty interesting board he has to expect i will check behind most marginal hands so he will value bet/blocking bet alot of hands that want to see a showdown i think, pot is pretty big and although i dont necessarily "represent" a big hand i think my line is confusing enough, i mean most importantly i felt pretty good that villian was trying to steal the pot on the turn so all of this thinking could be pretty useless and he could of had 23o and was just trying to steal the pot, but based on everything thats my reasoning for this play.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM

I think it's a good play, depending on the player of course. Given the limited information we have, I'm not sure why people would say it's terrible.

-Phoenix
Old 07-01-2005, 04:28 PM

i did check out the regs using prophecy to get an idea on sheer volume of step 5s they play, also i dont think i try this play on a qualifier i prob just bet the flop and take it from there against a qualifier. the idea that he doesnt think im capable of this play is its strength IMO.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:31 PM

If you perceive him to perceive you as being weak-tight, then I think it's OK.

If he folded, I think this would be a decent hand to show. Let them know you're not going to be blown off hands too easily.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the comments, given you're weak tight image I like the play a lot more now. Your logic seems right on now. I still think a smaller bet on the river would accomplish the same thing though. Like you said with a marginal hand I'd expect a value bet from him. How'd it turn out?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:33 PM

i dont perceive as weak/tight then i bet the flop, he wants to outplay me, this is the flop to do it, i dont think he can know that i am pretty confident of this and will play back, thats a main idea of the hand.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:34 PM

Sorry somehow posted twice.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:34 PM

Why in the world would you show? I would cherish my weak tight image so I can steal more pots when blinds are high. People will know soon enough that you know what you are doing. In general I think showing for advertising is bad.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why in the world would you show? I would cherish my weak tight image so I can steal more pots when blinds are high. People will know soon enough that you know what you are doing (when you start going all in a lot). In general I think showing for advertising is usually bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys will eat you alive if they smell weakness. Hero can't be pulling these types of plays every other hand.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:36 PM

yeah i hate showing here the table was real loose and i like my weak/tight image. it looks alot like a slowplayed monster from a weak/tight trying to get tricky.