Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 06:11 AM

Default How did I do on this hand so far?

Opponent has a deep stack, moderate aggression, and he has shown the willingness to gamble by calling big bets preflop with questionable hands. The questions are:

How did I do so far?
Should I worry?

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

UTG ($470)
Garland ($236)
CO ($124)
Button ($197)
SB ($421.50)
BB ($162)

Preflop: Garland is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($17) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Garland checks.

Turn: ($17) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $55</font>...
Old 12-11-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: How did I do on this hand so far?

You're fine. I hope he called.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:24 AM

bet the pot on the flop

too many draws
Old 12-11-2004, 10:32 AM

Agreed, you have to bet this flop. I know you want action from your pretty set of aces, but now you've given him a free card with multiple draws out and its much harder to put him on a hand. For your sake, I hope you didnt end up looking at 89s. Your play on the turn is fine. You might have been tempted to smooth call, but there are about 21 scare cards out (spade,3,4,8,9) that will either freak you or him out, make his hand and/or kill the action.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Results...

My opponent did indeed have 89(offsuit!!) for the nuts on the turn. He did not reraise me on the turn like he should have. I actually got lucky that a 9 came on the river slowing me down, he bet a small amount, and I called. He could have had my stack:

1. On the turn with an all-in.
2. On the river without the scare card.

People mentioned that I should have bet the flop because of the draws, but honestly, I didn't see the threat of a straight because he called such a big raise preflop, so I expected "big cards" or a smaller pocket. I deciced to chance a free card (mostly to a flush) to attempt to convince my sole opponent I don't have the A or am afraid of it. Perhaps he'll catch his set on the turn or already have it, in which case we're probably getting it all in anyways by the river. Bottom line, right or wrong, I felt my opponent would make a play at me or call down with a lesser hand with my flop check.

Thanks for your comments.

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG ($470)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Garland ($236)</font>
CO ($124)
Button ($197)
SB ($421.50)
BB ($162)

Preflop: Garland is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($17) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Garland checks.

Turn: ($17) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $55</font>, UTG calls $33.

River: ($127) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $50</font>, Garland calls $50.

Final Pot: $227

UTG has 8d 9c (straight, nine high).
Garland has Ah Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins $227.