Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Did I have any business calling these down?

Both hands from a typical UB .5/1 table: semi-loose (35-40% see the flop) and semi-aggressive.

Hand 1:
I post in the cutoff and get J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG and UTG+1 limp. I check. Button and blinds call. 6 to the flop.

Flop (6 SB): K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked to UTG who bets. UTG+1 folds. I call. Button calls. Blinds fold.

Turn (4.5 BB): J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG bets. I call. Button folds.

River (6.5 BB): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG bets. I call.

Results: <font color="white">UTG has Ac6c for the flush and MHIG. </font>

Hand 2:
In the SB I'm dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG and UTG+1 limp. Folded to me, I complete. BB checks.

Flop (4 SB): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check. BB checks. UTG bets. UTG+1 calls. I call. BB folds.

Turn (3.5 BB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check. UTG bets. UTG+1 calls. I call.

River (6.5 BB): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check. UTG bets. UTG+1 raises. I call. UTG calls.

Results: <font color="white">UTG has 6d3d for the flush. UTG+1 has 99 for the rivered set.</font>

Old 02-21-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Did I have any business calling these down?

In hand #1 you are getting 7:1 immediate odds to see another card. However, two of your eight outs are tainted by the flush draw. On top of that, the board is paired and not only paired but connected. If someone at your micro limit table was dealt KQ they will be seeing the flop. Now you catch a Jack on the turn giving you bottom pair on a paired, double-connected three-flush board. KJ and JQ are two more micro limit favorites. The chances of you being way, way behind here are very good. Your straight is almost certainly worthless even if you hit it and if you don't make your straight you are drawing completely dead to any King. Even if you do hit your straight and the flush is not out, you are facing the [fairly remote] possibility of a chop or [very remote] possibility of AT. On the turn you're drawing to six straight cards and two Jacks none of which are particularly likely to be good. All in all, I really don't think this pot was worth fighting for.

Hand #2 looks a little less scary on the flop. There is a flush draw out but this time you have the Queen of flush which is something. However, considering that you once again have two tainted outs due to the flush draw, I really don't think the pot is big enough to make playing worthwhile. On the turn you're juuuuust getting the odds to draw to your straight except that A) the flush draw has gotten there and B) you still have two tainted outs which are now really, really tainted. I cannot see calling on the turn being a remotely good play.

SpaceAce
Old 02-21-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Did I have any business calling these down?

Hand 2: Bet the flop. You are not going to learn much about any opponents hand by check/calling all the way to the river. If your hand is good enough to call with, it is usually good enough to bet with. Make the other players make the decisions then base your future play on how they react.