Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Almost called ambulance for myself last night

[ QUOTE ]
Im hoping someone here was in same situation or is a trainer and can give me more concrete steps then eat less move more, though im sure thats a start

[/ QUOTE ]

forum.bodybuilding.com
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im hoping someone here was in same situation or is a trainer and can give me more concrete steps then eat less move more, though im sure thats a start

[/ QUOTE ]

forum.bodybuilding.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this has replaced my 2+2 habit (mostly)! If you need inspiration check out some of the before/after pics.

Orange
Old 10-31-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
forum.bodybuilding.com

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been awhile, but I really liked the forums at DragonDoor
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 AM

Anyone who flames you would be a complete loser. What kind of health risks are involed in the surgery? It seems that would be the most likly to work.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:25 AM

My driver was in a very similar situation -- his doctor recommended surgery. Finally, he just asked the doctor what the consequences of surgery would be. He was told that he would be able to eat no more than 8 oz. of food at a time, four times a day -- but he could eat whatever he wanted. So he skipped the surgery and started carrying a measuring cup with him -- and has stuck to it. Has lost 100+ in the last year, and as far as I know all the exercise he gets is driving a car and occasionally carrying a bag to the curb.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Jokerthief clearly has no memory.

This guy is famous on the strategy forums as a troll that makes Dead look tame.

You are clearly the complete loser, asshat.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jokerthief clearly has no memory.

This guy is famous on the strategy forums as a troll that makes Dead look tame.

You are clearly the complete loser, asshat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly your the one... wait a minute...what did you say again?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to jake. See a doctor. Don't trust OOT for stuff like this.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM

At this stage, almost any reasonable exercise or eating plan will have great results, but you should see a doctor instead of OOT. Your health is right on the edge at that weight.

One thing I always suggest to people wanting to change is not to make little changes or temporary compromises, but change your life. Really change it. Otherwise you'll drift in and out of your old patterns and eventually wind up solidly in them again. If you want to change, it's not enough that your habits are different -- YOU have to be different.

That's not that hard, but it has a high dose of weirdness in it since most of us become so accustomed to our favorite habits that we can sometimes even think they're who we are instead of choices we're making and could just abandon.

One change I'd suggest is to stop eating out so much, if at all possible. Restaurant food is usually very high in salt, sugar, and fats, the better to please even a completely numb, degraded palate. All these things can be bad for you in more than very moderate amounts, but with restaurants, wow, you will get them piledrived into your gut. Cook at home, or just make simple things like sandwiches, salads, cereal or oatmeal. It doesn't have to be elaborate or king-sized. Soup is a good one, since it's incredibly easy to make very well even if you can't cook well at all. Make it mostly vegetables and lean meat, and you can eat a whole lot of it without putting on any weight at all. And at the same time get a very nutritious meal. Cold weather's a brewin', too, so it's a good time for soups. A crock pot is great for soups too, and even an imbecile can use those. Throw some dried soups or fresh ingredients in it, come back hours later to a hot meal -- very close to zero effort, and the stuff can taste great.

When you're making it yourself, it's so much lower calorie and healthier.

I'd also suggest starting to get your mind around food as something you eat for sustenance and want to enjoy, but not as a recreation. Learn to stop eating before you feel stuffed. After a while you will need less food to feel that way, and wind up feeling like you've had a good meal without pounding it down. When I used to go to a Chinese place that had gigantic portions, I got used to eating at least one enormous meal a day -- and that made me want to make other meals enormous too. That lunch triggered a gain in how much I ate on every other meal. My stomach stretched, my expectations stretched, whatever. Once I no longer went there, I got used to meals being a normal size again, and never really had to go hungry to do it. You can scale down your perceived need large amounts by not making it a habit.

I'd suggest checking out the forums at www.dragondoor.com when you get a chance. There are many very experienced physical trainers there who will be better than the ones you can get at most any gym, who can give solid advice to you. Most of them have very broad experience. The site sells kettlebells, and they're all familiar with them, but they recommend many other things besides kettlebells and are well acquainted with the science behind fitness.

Anyway, I'd see the doctor first, the restaurant last, and www.dragondoor.com somewhere in the middle. And plan to change your life, not do a fussy little dabbling and bunch of clever, complicated excuse making with your habits. You've gotta have balls to change, and can't be a big pussy about it, or you're screwed.

Oh, by the way, dragodoor has a nutrition forum too. Skip it! Some of the ideas of the people there, as on every fitness site, on nutrition are terrible and extreme. What you want is to replace extremely bad eating habits with good ones, not with another form of extremism. This is another good reason to let the doctor help you on these things; many diets are dangerous to a guy in your state, whereas they would be merely assinine and unhealthy to others.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM

I'm heavier than you are and in the same situation, although it sounds like you've got other health issues thatI don't. 10 lbs a month is easily do-able with any reasonable diet and exercise plan. Initially the pounds will fly off if you're good, the first 40 or so are cake, then it gets A LOT harder.

I've been fighting a losing battle with weight loss for years, but this year has been exceptionally bad, as I've put on weight and have really been treating myself like crap.

I'm going to be starting up a new plan right after I get back from Vegas. Trying to be good there just won't work.