Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Canterbury Park, my BR, SSH and a move to Minnesota (brrrrrr)...

Heading to Canterbury for three days next week (Thur-Sun) with a BR of about $2500. I routinely beat the 2/4 at Party (3+BB/100) and did well at 3/6 and 6/12 in Vegas back in June (the Pre-Millerian Epoch). A few questions...

Can I play the 8/16 at Canterbury on my BR (assuming 8 hours a day x 3 days)?

Will SSH likely apply to this game (loose-passive with too many seeing the flop and too many staying in too long)?

Thanks to sister-in-law for the plane tix, but I have to sit through 3 days of her pitching (softly) the idea of a move to Minnesota. Sorta like one of those time-share deals in Vegas where they give you dinner and a show for sitting through a 3-hour presentation. Can any of you Minnesotans (sp?)weigh in on the wisdom of a move from sunny and warm rural BF Virginia to the land of the frozen testicle?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Park, my BR, SSH and a move to Minnesota (brrrrrr)...

I moved to MN from San fricking Diego. 11 years later I'm still here.

Man, I'm an idiot.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:33 PM

The 8-16 is a little aggresive. I think the players like the monster pots. It is very beatable. Usualy at least 1 maniac 2 who dont have a clue and 2 rocks. Weekends are better games. Get there early Friday night, can be some long waits. Its all a big lie about the cold and snow we just want to keep the rif-raf out.

Mark H
Old 08-05-2004, 11:48 PM

I moved to MN from San fricking Diego. 25 years later I'm still here.

I didn't have a lot of choice though as I was still working on that walking thing.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:55 PM

I know that games at the same limits vary greatly, but in general, what limits offer the loose-passive games that are oh so sweet and tasty?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that games at the same limits vary greatly, but in general, what limits offer the loose-passive games that are oh so sweet and tasty?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're looking for loose passive 6/12 is MUCH more passive and a little looser than 8/16.

Some of the 6/12 and 8/16 tables can suck at times so if they do request a table change and you'll probably get a better table.

The last time I was playing 8/16 there the 8/16 table was a far worse game than the 30/60 I was able to join when a seat opened up.

BTW I go as Schneids on the board so if you happen to hear my name called at all over the weekend (may or may not make some trips) don't be afraid to come say hi.

EDIT: and yeah, $2500 should be plenty for those games.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:35 AM

Something tells me the roll is a little thin for the 30/60, but I suppose that depends on how the 6/12 or 8/16 treat me the first two days.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:37 AM

At Canterbury, the 8/16 game really is the place to be. The maniacs are usually out in full force and if you catch any cards at all you should do pretty well. The most passive games are probably at 3/6 and 4/8, but you shouldn’t even waste your time. They are so passive and so careless that if the rake doesn’t beat you, you’ll get outdrawn enough to just hover around even. You have to have stupendous cards to win at 3/6. For instance, there was one night where I was getting great cards (I had quads four times-four times!) but I was getting outdrawn so often in other hands that I only cashed out up $100 after 7 hours.

Minnesota isn’t that bad, and it’s a lot better than Virginia. I moved here 7 years ago from Florida and haven’t regretted the decision at all. I didn’t even plan on staying more than 2 years. The place just kind of grows on you. There is just something about it that feels like home no matter where you came from.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:54 AM

Milo,

Have you considered how difficult it might be to rebuild your practice if you relocate? Or are you contemplating finding a position in a hospital or established practice?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:23 AM

I've never been to Minnesota, but one thing it has over Virginia: Live poker.

This whole area sucks when it comes to poker.

-McGee in Bethesda, MD