Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Top pair poor kicker hand

I'm fairly new to 2+2, this will be the second hand I've posted. The first hand I posted I got no replies, if this hand is not worth any discussion some feedback would be appreciated on what my post should be more like to get some feedback. Thanks!

I have no reads on the villian, he had been at the table less than 1 rotation and I had never played with him before.

Party Poker .10/.25 blinds 6 max
Total number of players : 3
Seat 2: hero ( $37.91 )
Seat 3: player1 ( $20.45 )
Seat 6: villian ( $19.65 )
villian posts small blind [$0.10].
hero posts big blind [$0.25].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ Qs 6c ]
player1 raises [$0.50].
villian calls [$0.40].
hero calls [$0.25].

I know it's a poor starting hand, but I was getting 5-1 to call and it's only 3 handed.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, 9c, Qh ]
villian bets [$0.25].
hero raises [$2].
player1 folds.
villian calls [$1.75].

I was thinking he maybe had JT, didn't want to give him a cheap draw. I figured if he had trips or an overpair or something like AQ/KQ he would re-raise and I can get away from this hand.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 5d ]
villian bets [$0.25].
hero raises [$4].
villian calls [$3.75].

My logic here was basically the same as on the flop.

** Dealing River ** [ Ks ]
villian checks.
hero checks.

I figure any hand that has me beat will call and any hand I can't beat will fold if I bet, so at this point I was happy to check and see his hand.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Results in white:
<font color="white"> villian shows [ 9h, Qc ] a full house, Nines full of queens.
hero doesn't show [ Qs, 6c ] two pairs, queens and nines.
villian wins $12.85 from the main pot with a full house, Nines full of queens. </font>
Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Top pair poor kicker hand

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's a poor starting hand, but I was getting 5-1 to call and it's only 3 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an absolute garbage starting hand. I know it feels weak to fold to the min-raise but you have to learn not to sweat it. You are OOP to the raiser and nothing good will come from it.

The hand.. min-bets on paired boards are way more scary that min-bets on regular boards. I think your flop raise is fine, but do not raise the turn. The way the hand should have went is:

Flop: Villain bets $.25, Hero raise to $2, Villain calls

Turn: Villain bets $.25, Hero calls

River: Villain bets big, Hero folds
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is an absolute garbage starting hand. I know it feels weak to fold to the min-raise but you have to learn not to sweat it. You are OOP to the raiser and nothing good will come from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's 3 handed, they're 80 BB deep, it's a minraise.

with shallow stacks, or a full table i probably fold but here i think you're passing up a lot of EV.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they're 80 BB deep

[/ QUOTE ]

this is deep?

[ QUOTE ]
i think you're passing up a lot of EV

[/ QUOTE ]

you are entitled to that
Old 12-16-2005, 08:03 PM

no, it's not deep, but it's deep enoough for this to be good.

And i don't know what you mean with "you are entitlted to that"...

yea sure, you're allowed to pass up on money..... but why would you? playing the hand 1) should be profitable if you're good. 2) if you're not good enough to make it profitable, you'll get better when you play harder spots.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, it's not deep, but it's deep enoough for this to be good.

And i don't know what you mean with "you are entitlted to that"...

yea sure, you're allowed to pass up on money..... but why would you? playing the hand 1) should be profitable if you're good. 2) if you're not good enough to make it profitable, you'll get better when you play harder spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, Q6s I'll usually call here and hope to hit a big flop. Q6o, while not in the worst position he is OOP to the raiser and which will always make the hand difficult to play. How can he win a big pot here? A flop of 66x or Q6x and thats about it. It has nothing to do with "being good enough to make it profitable." This is a garbage hand out of position. I say fold - next hand please.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 PM

the good enough to make it profitable, comes from winning pots (they dont have to be big to be good) when you don't hit a 66x Q6x flop.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's calling this min-raise 80BB 3-handed because he might be able to do this thing called a "bluff". Not sure if you have heard of this term, I just figured it out yesterday.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's calling this min-raise 80BB 3-handed because he might be able to do this thing called a "bluff". Not sure if you have heard of this term, I just figured it out yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling raises to bluff out of position is a sure way to lose money at small stakes.