Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: $1,000 1 table freezeout. What do you do here???

[ QUOTE ]
But if I bet 1500 or less, I know he'll push with any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and of the hands that I have crushed, he won't call with many of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
You change your story all the time. Or do you mean he wont call the push with hands you have crushed. That is just all the more reason to bet 1500 or less, which is pretty much what every poster here has suggested. You want action from all of his hands, not only the ones who calls a push.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Double Down - stop arguing - you're on your own here. Bet and call a push. Poker is meant to be simple, you're making it complicated.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:49 PM

" Quote:
But if I bet 1500 or less, I know he'll push with any 2.

Quote:
Oh, and of the hands that I have crushed, he won't call with many of them."

"You change your story all the time."

Fair enough, thank you for calling me on my inconsistency. So I would say this: That if I bet 700 or less, he'll raise with any 2 cards bigger than a 7. And amongst all of those possible combinations are all sorts of hands that are either slight dogs or slight favorites to my hand, and the only ones I dominate pretty much are qj,q9,and q8 with no spades.

If I bet 1000-1500, he won't raise with those hands that I have crushed, but he will raise with any 2 overs with a spade or straight draw that make him slight dog-decent fave.

Everyone is criticizing my thinking but people still haven't said what they'd do here. Remember, I pushed, but I'm only posting this hand because 2 well respected 2+2ers told me that pushing was horrible.

So instead of telling me what's wrong with each option, I want to hear from you guys, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE??
Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, come on, people, I still have a lot of chips. And one of the main concepts of tourney poker is that it's ok to let go of a +EV situation if by doing so, you can make an even more +EV decision later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you do the following:

1) replace "main concepts" with "most abused and misunderstood concepts"
2) remove yourself from the box enough to realize that you are abusing and misunderstanding the concept that you (while using a really, really arrogant tone) inform us all of

you will:

3) be better off in the long run

c
Old 12-06-2005, 03:53 PM

I apologize for my arrogant tone. I meant no disprespect.

citanul, what would be your play here?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize for my arrogant tone. I meant no disprespect.

citanul, what would be your play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) no worries. people just need to be careful of what they write as this is an internet message board and inflection/sarcasm/whatever are reduced to whatever it is we read on the screen

2) i would need to actually know what your read is to tell you what my play is. if he's going to call preflop with 95% of all hands, bet all hands that hit the flop in any way, and checkraise a small bet with air every time (air including hands with a spade in it) i would bet just about the most i think he would checkraise and call a push. throwing away a huge amount of dead chips because you "think you can find a better spot" than 70/30 later is absurd.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is criticizing my thinking but people still haven't said what they'd do here. Remember, I pushed, but I'm only posting this hand because 2 well respected 2+2ers told me that pushing was horrible.

So instead of telling me what's wrong with each option, I want to hear from you guys, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE??

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me try. First of all, I seldom have that good of a read, so if I made a 3/4 pot sized bet and he came over the top, I would probably have to lay it down with only middle pair. But I play weak tight. I'm working on it.

What I think everyone is trying to tell you is, by pushing you narrow his range to the legimate hands he has that are favorites over yours. By inducing him to bluff by betting less than 1500, now you are getting all the chips in with a good chance to be a favorite. Theory of poker, if someone bluffs too much you should induce him to bluff even more.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a pocket or ace high he wouldve reraised me preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

One quick note - seems like on your preflop read, villian might not be as aggressive as you thought. I'm still kinda new at this, but wouldn't most players rank KJ at or ahead-of A-low or 33 heads up? And yet he just called with it.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM

No offense, but you are insane doubledown. If all of the things you said about the opponent are 100% true, then you fold because you know what he does every hand and CAN get a better situation. BUT it is unlikely that all of this is always true, and I think you are exageratting your read. You also came here already having your mind made up about what was right and what was wrong, so there was really no point to posting because all you wanted was people who would agree with you. If you can really pick up a read this strong than you probably win every heads up you play. None the less, I think you exagerated a lot and don't really know your opponent that well.
-Alex
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM

"2) i would need to actually know what your read is to tell you what my play is. if he's going to call preflop with 95% of all hands, bet all hands that hit the flop in any way, and checkraise a small bet with air every time (air including hands with a spade in it) i would bet just about the most i think he would checkraise and call a push. throwing away a huge amount of dead chips because you "think you can find a better "" spot" than 70/30 later is absurd. "

My read on him is as follows: preflop, he would call my bet with kx, qx, j6 or better, and any 2 with 2 or less gaps down to 34.

If he had any ace or a pair, he would've reraised me.

Flop is 10,7,2 all spades. If he had any made hand at all, he would've bet out. if he had a hand like 2 overs and a spade draw, he would go for a check raise.

Pot is 1k, blinds are 100-200 with 30 minute levels and 10 minutes left in this level. I have 5700, he has 4300.

If I check behind on the flop, he'll bet any turn (and pretty much every card is a scare card.) If I bet 700 or less, he will be correct to call with a lot of hands and he will probably reraise or push with any 2 cards bigger than my 7. If I bet 1000-1500, he'll reraise with 2 cards bigger than a 7 if he also has a spade or straight draw.

What is the best move??