Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 Q9o on the button

"Was it a winner?"

I only see the flop about one in six times outside of the blinds, but yeah, the hand is doing fine.

EDIT: In my most recent database (100k), I now see the flop 40% of the time with Q9o, and my results have improved a lot.

-Michael
Old 09-04-2005, 02:50 PM

I don't usually play Q9o versus two limpers, especially one who is a decent player.

I'm scared of a TAG who open-limps 5-handed and bets this flop. Given the action you can expect some bad outs and no free cards. No way should you get involved in 3-betting the flop. But you must play so calling is mandatory.

Most of them probably have correct pot/implied odds to call one bet on the turn. That makes going for overcalls crazy. Probably you cannot protect this hand, but you can insist on being paid full price.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Mate are u the same person who had or has been having a 286bb ds? 6max is fold/raise pf, unless its a pretty extreme situation.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:52 PM

"6max is fold/raise pf, unless its a pretty extreme situation."

This only applies first in, and if there are a bunch of total calling stations behind you it's as if someone has limped in. Acting immediately after one limper there are hands (small pocket pairs, J9s and such) that you want to limp. After two limpers this list expands even further. Raising two limpers, one who is described as solid, with Q9o is pretty bad. This is a relatively crappy hand that must cope with reverse implied odds.

-Michael
Old 09-04-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. Raise turn, raise river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.

Krishan
Old 09-04-2005, 04:23 PM

The deciding factor on whether to play this hand in this situation is your postflop play. If you are not very good post flop you should probably fold. By your posts, I would say you need some postflop work. Getting involved in a hand that can be tough to play postflop for you is a bad idea. I would probably fold Q9o in this situation & call or raise with Q9s.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:23 PM

Interesting Q9o preflop play. I usually leave this hand only for the blinds and button, sometimes cutoff depending on the players in the game. I'll start experimenting outside the blinds with 1-2 limpers because I want to be like Mike [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Warik, is this the same Warik from JoV?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"6max is fold/raise pf, unless its a pretty extreme situation."

This only applies first in, and if there are a bunch of total calling stations behind you it's as if someone has limped in. Acting immediately after one limper there are hands (small pocket pairs, J9s and such) that you want to limp. After two limpers this list expands even further. Raising two limpers, one who is described as solid, with Q9o is pretty bad. This is a relatively crappy hand that must cope with reverse implied odds.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I limp here like 90% of the time.

Teh other 10%, I either dont feel I am playing well or dont feel like playing Q9o.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah - indeed! I haven't been recognized online in a while. That was what.... jeez... like 7 years ago?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah - indeed! I haven't been recognized online in a while. That was what.... jeez... like 7 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems about right--6-7 years ago. I was just but a reader/fan of your original JoV site (turned PK on Chessy because of it), but I remember perhaps from one of your posts there that you were from or residing in FL. Guess that stuck; and just realised you might very well be that guy from reading this thread.

There was a MMORPG thread some time ago and I believe I was the only ex-UO PK that posted (or dared to post?) about turning to poker after roaming the virtual killing fields. Heh, good to see you here. Small world, eh.